Brand to to the Digital DJing World. Vertern Help Needed

Default Brand new to the Digital DJing World. Vertern Help Needed

Hi, I've been wanting to Dj since I was a kid and now that I'm older and can actually understand or at least try to, I want to learn how to Dj. Digital DJing seems like what I would want to learn first and I actually went out and bought a Numark Total Control w/ Traktor LE after researching for a nice beginner midi. Also the price was convincing.

Now that I have the Numark TC and Traktor I've tried using it but I have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone that knows how to use the Numark TC in and out and wouldn't mind helping a total clueless, new to Djing guy out could you post somewhat of a beginners guide to Numark TC and Traktor LE so that I can start making use out of it.

Anything would be very helpful, I looked up Ean Golden's YouTube Channel and learned a bit from there. But it would be great if someone could actually explain the Numark Total Control & Traktor LE in a beginners manner and point of view. Everyone had to start somewhere, lend a helping hand.

Thanks in advance, and if you read through the entire post, even more thanks.
    Last edited by skydiamond; 01-18-2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Fixed title

Thanks for the vids.

I actually have a few specific questions to ask.

When I try to import my itunes to traktor i dont get all my songs. I added the specific folder with all the music but it didnt load them to the traktor playlist.

Another question I have is how can I properly use a usb sound card to play the cue in and out while having my speakers play the other song. I've tried setting it up in the audio set up but I don't see the option for my usb sound card there.

Oh and how can I find the bpm to songs? Most of mine, actually all of them don't have a listed bpm.

Thanks again.

Another question I have is how can I properly use a usb sound card to play the cue in and out while having my speakers play the other song. I've tried setting it up in the audio set up but I don't see the option for my usb sound card there.
    You need to set up the Audio routing in Traktor. As awesome as manuals are, trial and error also works

Oh and how can I find the bpm to songs? Most of mine, actually all of them don't have a listed bpm.
    Select track(s) and right click (or CTRL-click on Mac) and choose "Analyze (Detect BPM)" or whatever it is.

Thanks, I'll have to try that when I get home.

This is really "noobish" I guess. But could someone post the means of the words on the traktor program and what they do? This would really help me out being as I know nothing of it.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiamond View Post
    When I try to import my itunes to traktor i dont get all my songs. I added the specific folder with all the music but it didnt load them to the traktor playlist.
    Make sure 'detect bpm on import' (I think that's what it's called) is ticked in preferences, then click on iTunes in the browser, select the songs you want to import, right click and select 'import to collection'. This should sort out the BPMs as well.

I assume you're talking about a seperate soundcard for cueing whilst using the laptop headphone output for speakers. This isn't the ideal way to go about it, a dedicated dual stereo USB soundcard like an NI Audio 2 DJ would be better, but if you must then what you need to do is create an aggregate sound device. That can then be selected as the soundcard in Traktor.

This is really "noobish" I guess. But could someone post the means of the words on the traktor program and what they do? This would really help me out being as I know nothing of it.
    Luckily for you someone already did. In fact they even went so far as to publish it. Even better than that, I bet you already have a copy on your laptop... It's called the Traktor LE manual. Read and enjoy
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Luckily for you someone already did. In fact they even went so far as to publish it. Even better than that, I bet you already have a copy on your laptop... It's called the Traktor LE manual. Read and enjoy
    +1 to that.

I understand people not wanting to read manuals, as I have never read one before turning to DJ'ing. But with all your DJ'ing and production equipment those manuals are god damn life savers!