When is a DJ actually considered a "DJ" - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU GUYS! Geez. . -.- . . . 1st you get the SERATO! Then you get the BITCHES! Only then, you can call yourself a DJ. . . C'MON! XD

"How do I reach deez' KEEEEEEEEDS!"

tl;dr.

When is a DJ considered a DJ? When he stops worrying about that stupid question. And I don't mean when he feels bad because some blowhard on an internet forum called him out for being insecure, I mean when he really doesn't care how he or anyone else labels him and just does his thing, which should ideally involve taking some f**king roof off somewhere, metaphorically speaking of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    I think there's a strong switch in your brain that really goes from being a musical consumer, to something else.
    Not sure about the strong switch, more like in crossfader in my view (check it, a DJ specific analogy ). You don't need to be a full time professional DJ, just someone that loves taking a part in the music rather than just letting it play.

Basically, when everything (or most things) in this blog post is true!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

When you get paid > DJ
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Filterkat

Id agree to a certain extent with what people are saying, on the professional side of things, you can call yourself a DJ when you start getting paid for gigs, for most of us its in the clubs, but remember there ARE mobile, wedding and all those DJ's aswel. If someone asks you what you do for a living, and you can proudly say that you play in clubs or whatever form of DJing you may do, and make a living or a descent earning from it, then... youre a DJ.

On another side of things though, just like art, there are brilliant painters that have never done an exposition or sold a painting before. Same thing with DJing. Just because you dont play in clubs, doesnt mean your not a DJ, but when someone asks you what you do, you shouldnt say, "im a DJ". I considered myself a DJ when i was 17, even though i had never played in a club at that point, just because at the time, i had honed my skills to a certain level where i would be proud of all my mixes. Now mind you, i wouldnt go around telling people im a DJ, when i worked in a surf shop at the time. I only truly started calling myself a DJ when i was playing in clubs as my main source of income.

So you can still be a DJ or feel as though you are a DJ without neccesarily having played out at clubs, or being paid for what you do... but you cant really call youself a DJ or really be "considered" as one until you get paid for what you do... if that makes sense... lol

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would say if you play for other people on a fairly regular basis, paid or not, you can call yourself a DJ. If you dedicate a certain amount of time on a regular basis to practicing you can call yourself a DJ. When you stop caring if you can call yourself a DJ you can call yourself a DJ. As a matter of fact if you want more gigs you have to start calling yourself a DJ. This job or hobby or whatever you want to call it requires a certain amount self confidence so start introducing yourself as a DJ and I would bet you would get more gigs.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Filterkat

id agree with what jojo said about presenting yourself as a DJ for getting gigs, when your talking about getting gigs/parties whatever... you ARE a DJ... I know all too well how important it is to present yourself confidently to a club or venue when approaching them about a club gig or about hosting an event. but, say if someone asks what you do for a living, and you work as an IT consultant, who DJ's at parties on weekends, i wouldnt go as far as to say "im a DJ"... no your not a DJ, your an IT consultant who DJ's on weekends. I think its fair to say that openly being able to claim that your a DJ is reserved for those who deticate most of their life to the practice. When you live, breathe and basically spend your whole time doing nothing but DJ'ing and music related things. If your that hard into it anyway, chances are your on your way to getting club gigs or already are playing at clubs. Otherwise, any hack with a free copy of mixmeister, and his mouse can openly claim "im a DJ".

However, unless your main source of income comes from DJing/producing, i dont think its fair to openly claim your a DJ. Its not fair on those of us who play in clubs 3 nights a week to be put on the same level as people spinning in their bedrooms, who have never played a gig in their life. Yes... you may consider yourself a DJ, and you DO DJ, but that doesnt mean that you ARE a DJ. I think you can start calling yourself a DJ when you have sufficient experience playing in front of a crowd. Not just 10 of your friends sitting in the loungeroom while you spin some tunes, a crowd 100+ at least.

If someone approached me and said Im a DJ and was interested in playing a slot at my club night, the first thing im going to ask them is "where have you played?". If you cant give a credible answer to this question, then i dont think you should be able to say "im a DJ".

Thats just my oppinion personally. It doesnt mean you CANT DJ, but it doesnt mean you ARE a DJ either.

Just because you own a fast car, and can drive it fast and well, doesnt make you a Race Car Driver. Same thing goes for DJing i think.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    When is a DJ considered a DJ? When he stops worrying about that stupid question.
    my thoughts exactly

All you need is a name like DJ 5 dolla holla and you're set in my book. Hell you're almost to Tiesto level if you get your mom to buy you Serato (or even Traktor!)
    Traktor Pro 2, Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter (#100 by Ean himself!), blah blah blah

Soundcloud || Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by B.Hallowell View Post
    All you need is a name like DJ 5 dolla holla and you're set in my book. Hell you're almost to Tiesto level if you get your mom to buy you Serato (or even Traktor!)
    lol
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast