When is a DJ actually considered a "DJ"
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default When is a DJ actually considered a "DJ"

Hey guys,
    Two years ago I purchased my first midi controller and began mixing with Traktor. Since then I have progressed and enhanced my knowledge of Djing and mixing far more than I ever thought I would. I have played gigs, and made many mixes on soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/dj-wala-1/ra-ra-rasputin-mix), but when does one in my situation earn the title of being a DJ? I have the upmost respect to people like A-Track, Bad Boy Bill, Ean, etc. Being only 16, is it just to have the title of "DJ"?
    Would love to hear what the community thinks about this,
    -Wala

Tech Guru

I used to play guitar. That does not mean I used to tour do gigs.

I see it the same way now that I "DJ". Personally I think one has the title of a DJ when they perform on a professional level. For most people that level is when you start playing at clubs.

Then again, the title "DJ" is a very loose term these days, as well as being commonly misused now more than ever.

Personally I do not go around telling people that I am a DJ, mainly because of the negative connotation I believe people like Pauly D has given it. When I am to spin at an event, I have it so it just says "Music by Gianmarco" or if there are several DJs something like "Music by DJs:"

As I said, i personally think it has become to loose of a term to use.
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Yeah, definitely agree with you. There are lots of people using a mouse and vdj, syncing two tracks, adding a flanger, and calling themselves DJ's. It looks like I'll earn that term when I get my first club gig : )

Quote Originally Posted by Wala View Post
    Hey guys,
    Two years ago I purchased my first midi controller and began mixing with Traktor. Since then I have progressed and enhanced my knowledge of Djing and mixing far more than I ever thought I would. I have played gigs, and made many mixes on soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/dj-wala-1/ra-ra-rasputin-mix), but when does one in my situation earn the title of being a DJ? I have the upmost respect to people like A-Track, Bad Boy Bill, Ean, etc. Being only 16, is it just to have the title of "DJ"?
    Would love to hear what the community thinks about this,
    -Wala
    So, it all depends on what you consider a DJ, do you consider it a big-shot job like Tiesto? or do you consider being a DJ just a hobby like DJing at a block party or DJing at a birthday party or something?

As most people who dj, know what it means. being a Disk Jocky isn't a very strict term. Basically, if you play songs on a record or a program with a controller and you change up the song by scratching and using effects, you are technically a DJ. Now, If you are wondering if being considered a DJ like DJ Rave or DJ Tiesto, that DJ title would come to you when you go into producing, and promoting your songs, doing more gig's than what you normally do, and actualy make money from it.

It's kind of the same situation with all the kids that go out and buy an slr camera and think they're a photographer.
    For me, it kind of comes down to phrasing. I have had an interest in photography for a number of years but I don't call myself a photographer. I get called occasionally to do the odd photo shoot. On those days if somebody were to ask "are you the photographer?" (as in for that day in particular) I would say yes. However if they more generally asked "are you a photographer?" I would say no since it's not a profession that I consistently get paid for.

Just because you have an interest in law, it doesn't mean you're a lawyer.
    Just because you have an interest in medicine, it doesn't mean you're a doctor.
    (although formal schooling in that situation does earn you those titles)

I see it as you are specifically a DJ when it is providing a re-occurring source of income or work for you. Until then, you have an interest in it but it isn't your title.

That's just my view. I don't think there's a definitive correct answer to this question.
    Last edited by Blair; 01-19-2011 at 12:17 AM.

I also think it's something that you'll personally know. I think there's a strong switch in your brain that really goes from being a musical consumer, to something else. There a lot of idiots out there (in general, but specifically to DJing in this example) that will call themselves the hottest shit on the planet, when they really can't mix two things together.

It's part of the anti-digital revolution in a way. Because digitally, it's become much easier to "step into" the game. One of the more badass nights I frequent (as a musical consumer, not a DJ) only has CDJ's and vinyl, and don't do computers. Is it bad? No. But it's their way of "weeding out" people.

I think a DJ can be many things, and it's all an objective definition. But it does really come down to "skills to pay the bills" and when you start doing it and earning some money, that's generally the point where you are accepted as a professional.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Interesting answers, I guess it really depends on the person and what they want to accomplish with music. I took up mixing because I had a love for house/electro/dubstep and wanted to do something more with mixing. I received the title of a "DJ" by my peers but I know I'm qualified enough for that. Can't wait to get a recurring income as a DJ but until than I'm happy playing for my peers and making stuff on scloud.
    Last edited by Wala; 01-19-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Good points so far, agree mostly. But I wouldn't define a DJ only as someone who "does gigs" or "gets payed to DJ". By that token, someone who has practiced for years and years and acquired more skill and knowledge than those in the clubs but never left their bedroom (they're out there!) could not be called a DJ. Sure there is a distinction between "hobby DJ" and "professional DJ" but they both still under the "DJ" umbrella
    http://soundcloud.com/directorate
    Behringer BCD3000 - Unibody 13" Macbook - Traktor Pro - Sennheiser HD212Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Directorate View Post
    Sure there is a distinction between "hobby DJ" and "professional DJ" but they both still under the "DJ" umbrella
    Exactly what I was going to say.

The comparison to lawyer and doctor are incorrect. We are not talking about a degreed profession, we are talking about the arts.

There are schooled and trained musicians and artists, and there are many succesful artisits and musicians who have never been to school or had training, as well as many who take up music or art as a hobby. They are all musicians and artists. But to call some one a musician or artist usually means that is their profession.(as in how they make a living)

DJ describes what some one does the same way. I am not a DJ, I am a small business owner, who DJ's in his spare room at home as a hobby. A bedroom DJ. Hmm.....So I am a DJ. But don't call me one until I make DJing a regular income producer. Wether part or full time. Then it would also be a profession and it would be ok to call me a DJ.

This doesn't mean just in a club, though if you say to some one you are a DJ they automatically assume you mean in a club. There are mobile DJ's, Wedding DJ's, bar DJ's, club DJ's, arena touring DJ's, etc.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 01-19-2011 at 02:30 AM.

I was 16 when I considered myself a Dj. A friend and I got a recurring gig at a cafe in town. We were one of the few guys with turntables, and the only guys that would spin deep house where we lived. It was a small town in Mexico. My friend's dad has a mobile and event sound rental service so my friend knew how to beatmatch really well, I was in the beginning stages. For deep house it is customary to do long blends, and I would train wreck most mixes in the beginning. After like 3 of those gigs and a lot of practice at home (and I mean like all day practicing), I got really good at holding the songs together since I didn't want to sound like crap in front of people. I was called a DJ since my first gig at that place, but I would say I wasn't a DJ until the 4th gig. Things have changed in the last 14 years, but as others said before, you'll know.

[EDIT]
    By the way, we would only get paid like 20 bucks for both of us, but we were really popular with the regular chicks at that place.. haha.
    Technics1200-M5G/DDJ-SZ
    WWW.ARTHURNAVA.COM

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast