My conversations at the Serato booth (Itch content)
    Tech Guru

Default My conversations at the Serato booth (Itch content)

Ok,

So I spent quite a bit of time every day at namm talking with the guys at the Serato booth. Very approachable guys. Very professional. Very much fans of music and all of them, dj's themselves.

While I didn't get any gigantic bomb dropping leaks I did get some very important conformations.

a) 2011 is going to be a year of lots of focus on the Itch product. Or as they put it, repeaditly over all 4 days "2011 is going to be a very good year for itch users" *insert huge wide eyed smiles*

b) There are 2 dev teams at Serato. The Scratch Live team and the Itch team. While the Scratch live team codes for 5 products from 1 company, the Itch team codes for "currently" 9 products from 5 companies.

c) The bridge product seems to have a lot of work being done by Ableton themselves.

Like I said, not exactly bomb drops. But at namm, when you go to a booth every day, you start to build little friendships that are kind of their own little microcosm unto themselves. Not once did I get the impression that my leg was being pulled or they were just trying to hand me pr bs. When they couldnt talk about something, they wouldnt. When they wish they could talk about something, theyd flat say they wished they could. These guys seemed to be busting at the seams about a few things but seemed to be reassured in the fact that everyone would get the big Itch news "soon".

So there you have it. I hadn't posted this info here and nobody else had so I figured, you guys might be interested in it.

*my opinion*
    I dont think Pioneer would have stepped into the game with Serato if they didnt know a big push would be coming for the Itch product. I'm sure they werent thrilled about the idea that Rane has exclusivity on the Scratch Live products. So for them to go ahead with an Itch controller, especially at the price point its at (more expensive than their Traktor controller) there has to be some vailidity of "big things coming to Itch soon"

Based on these conversations I decided to hang in there and keep my VCI-300. What I personally hope for soon is more features in line with the SSL product. The bridge, the sample player, video sl to some extent (that that ill every dj videos ever).

Regardless, with Itch updates coming, Torq 2, and the next version of Traktor. I have a feeling this is going to be a VERY fun year for us here on the forum.

Heres to the future.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    I'm sure they werent thrilled about the idea that Rane has exclusivity on the Scratch Live products.
    Didn't Rane's 5 year exclusivity with Serato just run out? hence the public release of drivers for SL1s and 3s?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Didn't Rane's 5 year exclusivity with Serato just run out? hence the public release of drivers for SL1s and 3s?
    could be. but the fact that there werent any new Scratch Live interfaces at namm says something.

however. i didnt think about that 5 year thing. didnt know about it to be completely honest. I generally dont keep up with the dvs scene.

but it makes you wonder if we'll see a Pioneer or A&H scratch live interface in the near future. God if they did and release this year, 2011 is going to be a crazy year for us on the forums for sure lol.

I havent been this excited about products in a long time. god im going to be so effing broke because of it this year lol.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    the fact that there werent any new Scratch Live interfaces at namm says something.
    Except the awesome sounding new SL-4
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES