What Kind Of Mac?!?!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What Kind Of Mac?!?!?

Hey All,
    I have finally saved up enough money to buy myself a computer!
    I have an 07' macbook and im lookin to update/
    Im just trying to figeure out which mac i should get /
    I am an Up n Comin' Dj (ya i said it) - and i know that there must be some specifications that i will need for running tables n storing a large amount of music/ And i don't want lag between action on tables (midi controller esentially) - and the sound coming out / or hunting music n loading it... And also maybe a bit of music producing soon.... long story short i want nooo issues

So im gonna leave this one up to you guys/ i know that you can customize your mac with different things but remember/ i AM a student/ so im kinda looking to get away with paying as little as possible /

So post what you think is best for me--- anywhere from 1000-2200 /
    (if u were me what would u buy)
    Or just say what i should n shouldnt bother getting in the computer itself...

(And i dont mean for this to be a PC vs. Mac thread / U can emotionally back any brand u want.. they are all just trying to make money off of u)

And please speak in NOOB terms/ cause i dont kno much (if anything) about this kinda stuff
    Last edited by sepdanger; 01-20-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Tech Mentor

Anybody have an estimate when Apple will refresh the MB and MBP lines? Sandy Bridge (i.e., the new chip generation from Intel) is pretty sexy.

My hunch is the 13 inch MBP will get Sandy Bridge. That would be quite a change from the current situation where you're basically facing this strong performance (MBP 15/17) vs portability (MBP 13) tradeoff. With Sandy Bridge, even a 13 inch Mac would be an absolute monster machine.

Filterkat

start off by going to macdonalds and getting yourself a big mac, and some macnuggets, with a macflurry, then go down to apple and look at some macs... i suggest the macbook pro 13 inch for portability/cost... but i also reccomend upgrading to a 500g hard drive, and possibly upping the ram, As is you shouldnt run into any problems for running traktor, but if you want to get into producing, some of the things tends to be a little ram-heavy... Im still currently running my 08' MBP 15' which is 2.4 dual core, 4 gb ram and 350g hard drive... which at the time i got it was fully upgraded... It runs traktor absolutely beutifully, and does a pretty good job with Reason/Logic. I have come into a few issues with Logic though, where it "overloads" but thats because i tend to use a LOT of samples and is a lot for my ram to handle at once.

But with what i stated above, you shouldnt run into any problems, especially if your only beggining producing. Ive been producing for 8 years, and if i did the amount of stuff i do now with my productions 8 years ago... im sure my computer would have blown up... but its a big learning curve, and it will take you a while before you start producing anything "descent" and you learn all the basics. Also if ur a student and get a MBP, also look at getting a (cheaper) student version of Logic Pro... great production software.

Ill be upgrading to a new 15' with core i7, 500g HD, and 16 gig of ram, but thats only because my buisness decleration allows me to get 5000 bucks worth of new computer equipment every 3 years, and that time is coming around in 1 month 4 days and counting.... yay me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by itskindahot View Post
    Anybody have an estimate when Apple will refresh the MB and MBP lines? Sandy Bridge (i.e., the new chip generation from Intel) is pretty sexy.

My hunch is the 13 inch MBP will get Sandy Bridge. That would be quite a change from the current situation where you're basically facing this strong performance (MBP 15/17) vs portability (MBP 13) tradeoff. With Sandy Bridge, even a 13 inch Mac would be an absolute monster machine.
    I have a mid 2009 13" MBP and it can run Traktor and Ableton simultaneously without problems. I'd say you can't go wrong with the top spec 13" MBP. However there will probably be an update reasonably soon and a better processor is never a bad thing!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

K well i went n had a look/ 13" pro/ im thinkin im gonna up the memory to
    8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB---- Not even sure what that means
    And
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm---
    So would upgradding to solid state drive at 125 GB actually be setting me back or sumthin??/
    And could i grab the 2.4 instead of the 2.66 since im upgrading it all anywaiz or is that something completely unrelated to what im upgrading/?
    Last edited by sepdanger; 01-20-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Filterkat

a solid state drive is only useful if you plan on dropping your macbook on the ground on regular occasions, or if you work in the millitary, and expect to possibly have your laptop exposed to bomb shrapnel and explosions. A solid state drive is basically, sort of an indestructable drive... well not really, but it doesnt rely on spinning platters like a normal drive... its something...errr... solid instead.

Personally id reccomend updating your ram (memory) rather than going an SSD, because if you start producing, its handy to have as much as possible. At the moment im pushing my 4gb system to its limits RAM-wise when im producing. Not quite as neccesary for DJing, you could even get away with 2gb ram if your just DJing, but youll notice everything is a lot smoother and runs a lot more efficiently the more ram you have, as it takes a lot of strain off the processor.

So unless your planning to use your macbook as a frisbee aswel, id go for the RAM over the SSD any day.

I personally would wait, for the new line. You would pay now for a macbook that's in a way one year old.

I now it's hard to be patience, when money is burning in the pocket (might talk just for myself)

But in probably some 2 months you can always buy the 2010 version probably cheaper.

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by souldancer View Post
    I personally would wait, for the new line. You would pay now for a macbook that's in a way one year old.

I now it's hard to be patience, when money is burning in the pocket (might talk just for myself)

But in probably some 2 months you can always buy the 2010 version probably cheaper.
    And this aswel... or at least wait for the new footnote, to see if the new ones are going to have the new intel chips... if not, then it wont make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterkat View Post
    a solid state drive is only useful if you plan on dropping your macbook on the ground on regular occasions, or if you work in the millitary, and expect to possibly have your laptop exposed to bomb shrapnel and explosions. A solid state drive is basically, sort of an indestructable drive... well not really, but it doesnt rely on spinning platters like a normal drive... its something...errr... solid instead.

Personally id reccomend updating your ram (memory) rather than going an SSD, because if you start producing, its handy to have as much as possible. At the moment im pushing my 4gb system to its limits RAM-wise when im producing. Not quite as neccesary for DJing, you could even get away with 2gb ram if your just DJing, but youll notice everything is a lot smoother and runs a lot more efficiently the more ram you have, as it takes a lot of strain off the processor.

So unless your planning to use your macbook as a frisbee aswel, id go for the RAM over the SSD any day.
    SSD'd also use ALOT less power because theres no moving parts, and the access speeds are rediculously fast compared to HDD's....like....rediculously fast. basically they are better in every possible way...

I would normally recommend an SSD but if your DJing then your likely to have quite a lot of music (no duh) and 125gb is a bit small if your not using an external hard drive.

Tech Wizard

So pretty much / wait 2 months and then make the purchase cause they might have a special chip installed thats Legit Uber Pwn'age ... ? or sumthin n stuff?
    Is there anyway to find this out? And is it worth it to wait for Lion or do u think that this is sumthin that im gonna be able to update later?

And can i get this super chip installed aftermarket? And do u know where to find release dates? im havin a tough time pretty much lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast