Do lots of people grow out of the VCI-100? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Porkie View Post
    Do you have visual reference to note when the pitch fader controls pitch and when it controls volume?
    led light up. as it's mod based they light based on if mod = 0 or 1, same for buttons to toggle the a/c b/d bits

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I don't think anybody would ever "grow" out of the VCI. Maybe want change for change sake or suffer from gear lust, but the VCI is perfectly suitable to just about any level of DJ.
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    poor jogwheels and pitch faders
    pah. They were never 'poor', and since fw1.4 they're more than adequate.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Bollocks. They may be excellent in the way that they have high resolution but it doesn't change the fact that they are absolutely minute. A turntable is going to have a 100mm long fader for pitch and even at a 8% pitch range you'll be making mm fine adjustments, a necessary degree of accuracy not achievable with what you get on the vci 100.

Not bashing it, it's just clearly designed with a different task in mind.

i sold mine looking for an all in 1 solution, thinking the ohm64 would suit my needs. Unfortunately it didn't (not the same feeling, missing endless rotary's) and switched to 2 kontrol x1's. loving them a whole lot, so no looking back to the vci100 anymore. but sure enjoyed the hell out of it back in the day!
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

was referring more to the jog wheels comment. The jogs are brilliant.

No one's suggesting the VCI is a direct replacement for a turntable, but it does its job extremely well.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Tech Mentor

Agreed.

But, to get back to the original question, I'm kinda growing out of it. After 2 years with VCI and Traktor, all my music on physical media has been transferred to my hard drive. I've learnt to set tight beatgrids are well. So today I enable sync and hardly need jogs or pitch faders. But then the thing is that jogs and pitch faders waste space (Hawtin made a point about waste of space by jogwheels recently, too; I know).

was referring more to the jog wheels comment. The jogs are brilliant.

No one's suggesting the VCI is a direct replacement for a turntable, but it does its job extremely well.
    Anything that isn't spinning with a needle on it is an inferior jog wheel :P

Quote Originally Posted by itskindahot View Post
    But then the thing is that jogs and pitch faders waste space (Hawtin made a point about waste of space by jogwheels recently, too; I know).
    Oh hell yes! Why do all these 4 deck controllers have jog wheels on them? If I'm using 4 decks I'm going to be syncing, jog wheels are a complete waste of space.

[QUOTE=MrPopinjay;216347Oh hell yes! Why do all these 4 deck controllers have jog wheels on them? If I'm using 4 decks I'm going to be syncing, jog wheels are a complete waste of space.[/QUOTE]

but then if you want to do any movement of the track, for example finding your mix in point, you HAVE to have set load and cue markers throughout every track. Either that or bury your face in your laptop before every mix.

that, and have you ever tried fader FX? it's fucking inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Oh hell yes! Why do all these 4 deck controllers have jog wheels on them? If I'm using 4 decks I'm going to be syncing, jog wheels are a complete waste of space.
    really? you can't find a use for them outside of the original intention?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

but then if you want to do any movement of the track, for example finding your mix in point, you HAVE to have set load and cue markers throughout every track. Either that or bury your face in your laptop before every mix.
    Again, I agree. But, then again, this is something that could be implemented in a leaner way by a small touchscreen or touch strip. Of course, that's looking forward a little bit as currently, few decent devices with touch screen or touch strip are available. EDIT: yeah or map beatjumps as MrPopinjay suggests.
    Last edited by itskindahot; 01-23-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast