Do lots of people grow out of the VCI-100?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Do lots of people grow out of the VCI-100?

It seems like I've been seeing a lot of VCI 100 SEs for sale in the forums lately. I've been thinking of getting one, and the fact that so many DJTT members are selling theirs is a little alarming no?

How many of you have grown out of your VCI 100s and moved onto other gear? Was it just not enough for you? Did you crave the S4? Did you give up DJing?

Whats the scoop here?

I've made a lot of bad choices buying gear on impulse before, and I don't want this next one to be the same..

i'm only sticking as i've personalised the crap out of mine too many times. hotwired leds into new places, drilled holes in it for said leds, and it has no real resale value now, lol.

also, still does what i need it to do, while the s4 et al are cool controllers. i see no real need to change as yet when vci does exactly what i want and need

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I don't think anybody would ever "grow" out of the VCI. Maybe want change for change sake or suffer from gear lust, but the VCI is perfectly suitable to just about any level of DJ.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I don't think anybody would ever "grow" out of the VCI. Maybe want change for change sake or suffer from gear lust, but the VCI is perfectly suitable to just about any level of DJ.
    yeah.

back in the day the natural progression was; shitty belt drives, then half decent direct drives, then 1200's

now with all the options/combinations/possibilities set-ups will change over time based on the needs of the 'performer'.

SoundCloud

I didn't grow out of mine (i don't think i had it long enough to grow out of), i just couldn't help myself when the S4 came out. I love my S4, but i still miss my SE from time to time. when i make my first million, im going to have a room dedicated to all my old favorite gear from the past, and i will have a place of honor for a re-bought VCI.

Personally I feel that controllers such as these with poor jogwheels and pitch faders suit those who wish to sync more and as a result controlling more than just 2 decks becomes much more viable. The vci 100 isn't exactly ideal for control of more than 2 decks so when this flood of 4 deck controllers came about I guess most people jumped on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Personally I feel that controllers such as these with poor jogwheels and pitch faders suit those who wish to sync more and as a result controlling more than just 2 decks becomes much more viable. The vci 100 isn't exactly ideal for control of more than 2 decks so when this flood of 4 deck controllers came about I guess most people jumped on it.
    pffft. i got awesome 4d control on mine. just have to be creative with mapping

SoundCloud

I said "not ideal", not "not possible".

Out of curiosity how do you EQ the fourth deck? Surely you don't have enough knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    I said "not ideal", not "not possible".

Out of curiosity how do you EQ the fourth deck? Surely you don't have enough knobs.
    current map is similar tp mk2 layout. but where that has a switch i have a toggle for a/c and b/d. just toggles all the functions over. if i need to tweak i toggle, if not i don't.

also have a couple of buttons that switch pitch faders to channel faders for 'background' decks.

example;

i have a/c side set to a
    pitch fader is a pitch fader.
    i press button and it becomes c channel fader.
    while it's still c channel fader, if i switch a/c to c from a, the piyth fader becomes channel a fader, unless i hit button to swap back to pitch fader.

SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    current map is similar tp mk2 layout. but where that has a switch i have a toggle for a/c and b/d. just toggles all the functions over. if i need to tweak i toggle, if not i don't.

also have a couple of buttons that switch pitch faders to channel faders for 'background' decks.

example;

i have a/c side set to a
    pitch fader is a pitch fader.
    i press button and it becomes c channel fader.
    while it's still c channel fader, if i switch a/c to c from a, the piyth fader becomes channel a fader, unless i hit button to swap back to pitch fader.

Do you have visual reference to note when the pitch fader controls pitch and when it controls volume?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast