Telling a story! Taking your listeners on a musical journey!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Telling a story! Taking your listeners on a musical journey!

So I have a question, i've read a lot about "telling a story" / "taking listeners on a musical journey" and I am not sure how to interpret it - to be frank. I spin hip hop / rap / little bit of EDM and dubstep, but mainly hip hop / rap. And soon I will be spinning Indian (Yes, from India) music as well because I have insta-connections with that.

A LOT of my parents friends want me to come and spin at their parties. The parties occur frequently and they are all loaded and I don't mind spinning Indian music. I just started downloading Indian music to add to my collection and I am trying to incorporate everything I have learned / read from the forums.

Thing is, telling a story and such is hard for me to put in context, AND I highly doubt 40-50 year old Indian people will really care about the Story but I would still really like to incorporate it into my sets.

And my first regular set is going to be extremely soon (it was supposed to be last weekend but my friend had to cancel his party due to a family emergency. So whenever he sets it up again i'll be spinning).

Side note: Holy shit, jus noticed I have just hit 500 posts. This forum has consumed my life :P, well along with DJ'ing. :O

Thank you!

Tech Guru

it's just a way of describing how you should create movement throughout the mix by building up and breaking down energy so you maintain people's interest similar to how a story works.

rough example:
    chill tune --> medium tune --> banging tune --> chill tune

Banned

It's all about how you program your night music wise.

Start out slow and low key, nice groovy stuff. Then maybe move on to some more funky stuff. Keep building it up from there and then peak it for a bit, and then after peaking it take it a bit deeper to end the night.

You can't just play one style or mood all night as there's nothing to relate it to. If you play banging tunes all night that would be boring, but if you played some tunes that weren't banging but built up to it then they would have that much more impact.

Almost like building up tension and then releasing it.

Those sayings wind me up no end. The likes of Paul Oakenfold used to use phrases like that and he ended up disappearing up his own arsehole. Sasha and John Digweed also used these kind of expressions back in the 90's, but soon realised they sounded like c**ts and stopped.

It's the equivalent of middle management using phrases like "think out of the box", "be pro-active" and "are we all singing from the same hymn sheet". Don't be fooled by people who say these things and their tag lines. They are invariably egotistical, introspective, pretentious, vomit inducing shells of human beings.

Play what sounds good and what flows. Don't let people dress it up as something else.

I'm normally so nice as well, but this kind of stuff rubs me the wrong way.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    I'm normally so nice as well, but this kind of stuff rubs me the wrong way.
    that's what she said.

I'm still slightly confused, so i'm just trying to maintain a flow of energy to make sure that the "bangers" will still have the "banging" effect? Meaning I give people down time and such when they are on the floor?

How would you suggest I implement it in a hiphop set? Giving me a few song examples in a row please, that would be much appreciated.

It's kinda like the Hokey Pokey.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

downloand and listen to this.

http://sublevelcalifornia.com/main/w...s_Sublevel.mp3

nobody knows how to tell a story with music the way youre describing, better than Doc Martin
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Thanks Xtian, i'll have a listen tonight .

Banned

When they say "story" it's about having a start, middle, climax and resolution. Simple as that.

Knowing where you want to start and where you want to go.

And Archie is right, no one really says "story" any more, they just call it programming a night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast