Generally unimpressed with dubstep DJs
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Generally unimpressed with dubstep DJs

From the videos I have watched online, I have been generally unimpressed with the mixing abilities and techniques of dubstep DJs. I'm talking Datsik, Rusko, etc. From what I've seen it seems like they crossfade songs with no beatmatching or timing whatsover, and their favorite technique is to turn the volume down and up so the fans can "hum" the melody. What is this? I know a lot of the fans are either high as balls or are on MDMA so they don't care, but come on!

Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pt5Yca7iv0&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBMe6ILp0NY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rDmSWZjN64
    ElectroJams: Electronic Music Blog

Macbook Pro 17", Traktor Pro, Numark Mixtrack

I'm sure it's just laziness - I have no doubt all those guys can mix well when they feel like it. But if you're 18 yrs old and you have thousands of fans showing up to listen to you play repetitive music you probably get cocky, and when you realize most of them could give a shit about the mixing, you probably get lazy. It's not like dubstep is that difficult to mix; most of it is the exact same tempo and the structure of most tracks is extremely predictable. (IMHO that may make it more difficult to mix in a way that is sonically engaging, but that's a different issue). Plus a lot of tracks have long intros and breakdowns where there's not much happening; it's probably pretty tempting to just fade the next song in at those points.

Tech Mentor

I'm generally unimpressed with dubstep, these days. It definitely took a turn for the worse over the last few years. Whats worse than dubstep itself is the silly crowds of bandwagon flocks who are trying to look hard while showing their lack of dancing skills, watered down gang signs tosses, and suburban crunk face.

I saw Parsons a few years back, probably the last time I ever enjoyed dubstep in person.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kami View Post
    I know a lot of the fans are either high as balls or are on MDMA so they don't care, but come on!
    Very true! I saw Zed's Dead on thursday and most of the crowd was on something... I was a bit drunk

As far as the mixing goes yeah, I find that there's a lot of just crossfading thought it's not exactly quick crossfading, but there's also some really good mixing... I mean most of the occasions when they would lover the volume would be for the crowd to shout a line of the chorus or w/e, or to yell over the mic and hype things up (which really did work)... I mean it's a fair bit different from my usual style of mixing (long transitions, lots of blending, etc.), but I'm not DJing for a packed room in a club, so obviously they are doing something right.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

One of my favorite MC's, Ise Lyfe has a line in a song stating platinum records may only validate there are that many dumbasses. Granted dubstep is bringing in the crowds and cash, but that never really meant quality or good taste in my book. I mean shit, ICP has a huge festival every year too.

I've said enough and will make a conscious effort to chill on the negative nancy stuff for the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JuanSOLO View Post
    Granted dubstep is bringing in the crowds and cash...
    See? That's where the high dumbass count comes from. Happened to a lot of other genres before dubstep. Will be over again someday. That's when the true fans might come back and DJs might actually bother trying to mix properly again.

Yeah, the show on thursday was a clusterfuck of hipsters and bros.... kinda sad really.
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

you kow this reminds me of some of the old jungle djs back in the day. specifaly R.A.W. from los angeles. I have like every mix tape the guy ever did, and iv seen him spin hip hop(he is one of the sickest hip hops djs, fucker has skills, not to mention his sick as shit Techno tape from the early 90s which he did on a 4 track, just sick shit), but on one mix tape i have called terminate its a 4 tape collection, he mostly either blends the soft spots(where ther is no beat) or drops his beats durning a talking sample. this reminds me of that mixxing style I always found it rather lazy as honestly jungle beats are fucking super easy to beatmatch(amens can be a pain but whatevetr u only drop like 2 of those in a set, a full set of amens would make want to break stuff) to, way easier then 4 on the floor, IMHO.

However dubstep has some weird beats, are there any djs that beatmatch dubstep here on DJTT? just curious.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

whats dubstep?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    whats dubstep?
    +1

*facepalm*

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast