So i have my first booking,
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So i have my first booking,

Its not till december, Its for a presentation disco thingy for a club i used to swim with for about 9 years (im only 19 btws :3 ), The DJ last december played the same 5 trax over and over so ive not really got big boots to fill, just an opinion. Every year the "DJ" turned up with big silly light box things, you'll know the type, disco DJ standard, think wedding DJ.

Now i dont have any of these, i never ever looked at them when i was a youngster going to the disco's. but wondering should i have them? ive no idea of price ranges but ive also got to fork out $$$ on 15" mackie thumps.
    Also, is a laz0r a good idea? and do you need special lisencing to use one? i know a grade1 oxygen is pretty much harmless but i dont know the rules on these kinda things.

So the questions are,
    are there better value for $$ than mackie thumps
    Should i get stupid light show thingies
    Should i get lazor and what is the lisencing like in the UK.

EDIT: Also, my traktor quite oftenly sticks two fingers up at my DX2, my only real controller, and i have to restart traktor to get it to work, Should i bring along my maschine with traktor mapping along just in case or my CDJ100s and manually beatmatch it over.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

lights; you can do waaaaaaaaaaay better than them ugly ass light boxes...

as for the bugs in the system, you got plenty of time to straighten them out - hell you may even be on different kit by then?
    out of curiousity, what laptop/mac you running, what os, and have you done anything to streamline it?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

With a whole year to get it sorted I wouldn't worry too much. You can hire everything you'll need - you don't need to buy it all.

The computer/controller thing would worry me. Do some serious trouble shooting to see what is causing the drop outs. There's an article on NI that points to some software that helps with audio problems. Track it down.

Also - how is your power scheme set-up? Is there anything that might cause a drop out between the 'puter and the 'troller?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

@brad, what lights would you suggest ?

And im running a brand spanking new mac with OS 10.6.6, USB cable to my Audio 8 may be a bit dodgy, and running midi cable out to my DX2, ive never had a problem with controller drop outs till i got my DX2, i used to play with apc+maschine for hours without any problem.

@patch, the laptop is plugged in and the DX2 runs on batteries, which i replaced the first time it happened, 2 weeks ago.

Tech Guru

just hire some stuff at the time
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Wouldnt mind buying thumps, but ill rent lights and lazers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    @brad, what lights would you suggest ?
    something more exciting to look at/watch then those god awful carpet covered plywood boxes.... *shudder*

not much help really... lol

just try and build a nice looking light show

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

go to spencers gifts (they typically have cheap intro lights that i started with.....)

American DJ is a great resource too... they got baller lights.

i want some of the swivel ones (idk what theyre called) but they are baller as shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Your in the UK i'm guessing, have a peek at Thomann great bloody service and shipping.

It depends on your budget, but i'd honestly just rent the stuff prolly like a tenner per twister / rave / strobe.

Regards the Laser, i'd say stack up on decent lighting instead for the price, a lazer that hires for less than 100 quid just won't be as spectacular looking as 100 worth of moving heads with smoke .. .

Anything sound to light will look cheezy but you'll be the only one who'll notice how it looks ...

I'd happily go with minimal lighting (few twisters), smoke machine, and spend the funds you were planning to spend on the lazer on a bigger sound rig ..

Trust me, I spent way to much time in my youth spending the entire proceeds of my fee on making "my next gig" trying to look and sound as cool as possible, where looking back they were really just "pub gigs" in dive bars where I was the only one noticing when the lights went out..... so long as the audio is pumping (and not overdriven), its all good.

P.S. The rental shops will show you all sorts of nice (expensive) things, don't get carried away

Is that really 2011 you're talking about ?
    Last edited by deevey; 01-25-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Hang on December 2011 ????

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Its not till december, Its for a presentation disco thingy for a club i used to swim with for about 9 years (im only 19 btws :3 ), The DJ last december played the same 5 trax over and over so ive not really got big boots to fill, just an opinion. Every year the "DJ" turned up with big silly light box things, you'll know the type, disco DJ standard, think wedding DJ.

Now i dont have any of these, i never ever looked at them when i was a youngster going to the disco's. but wondering should i have them? ive no idea of price ranges but ive also got to fork out $$$ on 15" mackie thumps.
    Also, is a laz0r a good idea? and do you need special lisencing to use one? i know a grade1 oxygen is pretty much harmless but i dont know the rules on these kinda things.

So the questions are,
    are there better value for $$ than mackie thumps
    Should i get stupid light show thingies
    Should i get lazor and what is the lisencing like in the UK.

EDIT: Also, my traktor quite oftenly sticks two fingers up at my DX2, my only real controller, and i have to restart traktor to get it to work, Should i bring along my maschine with traktor mapping along just in case or my CDJ100s and manually beatmatch it over.
    Your APC40 is a REAL controller....you can use that for Traktor!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast