So i really want to learn to beatmatch manually
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default So i really want to learn to beatmatch manually

Ok so ive got to the stage where im looking for club gigs and most places dont want laptop DJs yet as its still "underground" im looking at either a small all-in-one unit like the numark mixdeck for (possible) house parties/small gigs or something along the lines of a pair of used CDJ800MK2's and im looking at a new mixer too, but thats out of the equation atm.

- all in one units, Mixdexdeck etc
    or
    - CDJs.

Also: how easilly can each of these be hooked up to the laptop, i see the mixdeck has USB, and i guess i can just use timecode for the 800s yes?
    Last edited by Cook; 01-26-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Guru

tech12s !

Tech Mentor

Laptops are underground? Everyone in Dallas uses them. Hmm, I had to say though, us digital guys are a bit ahead, from what I saw when I peaked into the booth the other weekend, the resident DJ was using VDJ. I kinda lol-ed, and it made me wanna try to get a residency or even a guest gig there to show them how its done. Silly club owners though, this is the way of the future!
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Tech Mentor

CDJ 800's will be a good investment, as would used 1210's...

You can always purchase traktor scratch or serato dvs to enjoy the best of both worlds.

pretty much every club will have CDJ's so its always a good idea to invest in time in learning how to use them, I did, still hate them, but at least I can use them. Very few clubs have good turntables as they are just a liability these days so that might steer you away from that route. Most clubs are scared of laptop DJ's. Laptops crash/take up space/aren't 'industry standard' so its always best to have a back up plan I.E a CD wallet.

I would steer away from any all in one unit. They are kinda amateur and aimed at the bedroom/wedding DJ market really and lack lots of features and flexibility and will eventually hold you back.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

@duerr, rare to see TTs in clubs anymore, so no point really
    @itajeN, NYE was the first time i ever seen a laptop in any of the clubs local to me, and was using serato itch.
    +@JamesT, i already own full traktor scratch pro, and ive been a pure controllerist up untill now.

I was just wondering if there was any other ways of connecting the 800mk2s to a laptop other than DVS, im still unsure what this HID thing is, but the 800s dont have USB so i doubt thatll happen.

Do you play Traktor or Ableton? Something else?

I know strictly laptop DJs who play both and taught themselves to beatmatch manually on both without any decks.

In Traktor, map some incremental tempo and pitch bend keys. I used to play with a guy every weekend who did this on his laptop keyboard, and we'd be mixing into each other all night long as long as he knew the exact tempo my tracks were running at.

Another good friend of mine could do the same in Ableton with a global pitch bend mapped to his controller. Again, he'd have to know the tempo but after a bit of practice he was spot on every time.

Just saying that beatmatching is a universally executable skill not limited to platter/pitch fader type devices.

Id prefer to learn on the same style "standard" that clubs use for now

Nope, no way of hooking CDJ800s up except for timecode.
    If you really wanna do that, you'll need something along the line of a cdj400 or cdj350 - if it really has to be pioneer.
    IMHO, if you only want to learn beatmatching, you don't have to shell out that kind of money. Get something like a Radius 1000, maybe a Denon 1200.

I knew how to beatmatch from my vinyl-only days, but when I had to get myself used to using a CDJ for a series of gigs, I just got a single cheap one that kind of resembled the pioneers layout-wise, just to get used to it. Don't even remember what brand it was. Worked out alright.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post
    Do you play Traktor or Ableton? Something else?

I know strictly laptop DJs who play both and taught themselves to beatmatch manually on both without any decks.

In Traktor, map some incremental tempo and pitch bend keys. I used to play with a guy every weekend who did this on his laptop keyboard, and we'd be mixing into each other all night long as long as he knew the exact tempo my tracks were running at.

Another good friend of mine could do the same in Ableton with a global pitch bend mapped to his controller. Again, he'd have to know the tempo but after a bit of practice he was spot on every time.

Just saying that beatmatching is a universally executable skill not limited to platter/pitch fader type devices.
    beatmaching with BPM readings ain't really beatmaching IMO. It's just making sure machines aren't phased. you can still learn to beatmatch with only a computer and some clever mapping.

Ah, vanity beatmatching. I see.

In that case make sure you get something with a loooong pitch fader. Don't bother with the short ones. Learning to use a pitch fader to dial in a tempo is a pretty universal skill.

Pitch bending is so easy that you won't be lost if you have buttons, jog dial, or TT platter. No worries there. Learn one, use them all.

Cheers on the road to looking cool to the old guys!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast