First "gig" in 2 months, what to focus on?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default First "gig" in 2 months, what to focus on?

Hello!

So I am very very new DJ and after reading several articles on good entry MIDI controllers, I decided that the Hercules Mp3 E2 would be a good purchase to start out with because it is cheap, and if I realize the DJ thing isn't for me, then its not a huge deal.

Anyways, I have my first "gig", in 2 months where I am going to be DJing my buddies younger brother's 18th birthday party at his house.

I have been pretty much solely practicing beat matching for the past 2 months so I can get my basic skill set before I move on any further, and right now I am at that point where I would like to move on a bit more.

So my question is, in the next 2 months until my first "gig", what things do you guys think I should focus on, or perhaps are there any specific skills that you think I should bring to my first gig... perhaps something you first used when you had your first gig?

As you can tell by my post count, I am very new and hoping to tap into the extensive knowledge base that you guys have to offer, I've been lurking the forums for a while and finally decided to start posting a bit.

P.S. I have a fasttrackpro sound card for cueing up tracks.

Any responses are greatly appreciated!!!
    Thanks.

What sort of speakers will you be using?
    How many people?

Tech Mentor

Get alot of the music he wants u to play, and practice practice practice. U want to get comfy with ur setup so u know what to do if someone is talking to u and the song is finishing.
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Tech Guru

I'm guessing you have your sound system situated? If your looking to give them a show, maybe look into some lights or lazers, fog. Other than that you can practice with the type of music you will be playing there.

Within Traktor you may want to make sure your audio buffer setting are correct. Also you may want to turn on "lock playing decks".

Here's a 4 deck mapping I made for the Hercules MP3 E2. http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23676

If your playing a "gig" you need one of these http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/01/2...-dj-name-drop/. Name drop.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    What sort of speakers will you be using?
    How many people?
    Probably around 50 people, and we aren't quite sure what speakers to use yet, whether we should rent a pair for the night, or just use his Dad's speakers (he has nice monitor speakers).

So we'll see about the speaker, depends on his dad.

But yeah I'll try to get as much music as he likes.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deviantdigi View Post
    I'm guessing you have your sound system situated? If your looking to give them a show, maybe look into some lights or lazers, fog. Other than that you can practice with the type of music you will be playing there.

Within Traktor you may want to make sure your audio buffer setting are correct. Also you may want to turn on "lock playing decks".

Here's a 4 deck mapping I made for the Hercules MP3 E2. http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23676

If your playing a "gig" you need one of these http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/01/2...-dj-name-drop/. Name drop.
    Hey thanks for the suggestions man, and thanks for the links. Yeah I am hoping to give them somewhat of a show because it is an opportunity to get my name out there a little bit.

Thanks for the responses so far guys, really appreciated!

EDIT: wow after looking at the pictures/descriptions of your midi map for the MP3 E2, I almost pooped my pants, you basically saved me ALOT of time because somehow you have everything mapped EXACTLY how I wanted it and everything that I was going to embark on mapping. LOL!

you are my hero, can't wait to try it out tomorrow.
    Last edited by G-RAM; 01-27-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Pick your tunes.

Make sure you have sussed out what these kids wanna hear and make sure you have that to feed to them.

as long as you are playing what they wanna hear....your actual mixing skills will not be that important yet...I think.

make sure the tracks are analyzed and gridded etc.

make a back up on CD's....JUST in case.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

If the dance floor is empty play blue Monday!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Pick your tunes.

Make sure you have sussed out what these kids wanna hear and make sure you have that to feed to them.

as long as you are playing what they wanna hear....your actual mixing skills will not be that important yet...I think.

make sure the tracks are analyzed and gridded etc.

make a back up on CD's....JUST in case.

Yeah I think you're right, the way I see it, is that if I wasn't going to DJ this party for them, then they would be using an iPod, and I can for sure make a better mood than an iPod, even if I am just starting out lol!

Yeah I will embark on the gridding probably this weekend, university can get overwhelming sometimes lol!

Oh and in the case of the CD's, I'll for sure make a backup CD, although I hope that my stuff doesn't crash on my first use in front of a crowd, even if it is beginner equipment lol thanks for the suggestions!!!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    If the dance floor is empty play blue Monday!
    lol, I think I might have "evacuate the dancefloor" ready to go, because at least then the irony of it all would make me lol on the inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast