I can't mix for shit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I can't mix for shit

Sometimes I just lose the fucking plot. Especially after a few days or a week of not doing anything.. does this happen to anyone else?
    I suppose it only really applies to my fellow manual beatmatchers..

ahhhh ventage

Tech Guru

we all have our slumps. sounds like youre thinking about it too much.

have a beer, watch some tv, then do your favorite old mixes.

but dont overanalyze, it'll drive you nuts mate.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

happens all the time, more so after moving town, away from all my mates who used to mix. When it happens, I usually end up playing really old tracks that I love, or tracks I hardly ever play. Makes for a nice change of pace

beatmatch or not, it can happen. trust me, i'm speaking from both sides of the fence

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    sounds like youre thinking about it too much.
    for sure dude. sometimes i'm concentrating so much I can't even tell if things are in time.. I swear I think some tracks even by themselves are out of time.. fucking bananas

yeah I'll just take it as a slump I guess.. and also when I'm just mixing for fun I try and use harder tracks to mix so maybe I should just have a good hour or so of just stuff I know backwards to get some confidence back..

ahh thanks for the love though. so glad I have somewhere to vent. not sure my mum appreciates the finer points of djing

...i havent played a club gig in about 2 years. simply havent been motivated too. i had a shit job that had shit hours and lost motivation/was too tired to play. about 3.5 years ago had about $4,000 of gear stolen + all my music (i was supposed to open for jose padilla the next night too).. i didnt play after that for about 6 months. i stopped searching out new tunes. stopped listening to EDM completely for a while. i still only play occasionally. once or twice a month maybe at friends houses or parties. thats it.

im getting the urge to get back into it tho! i think its sometimes a good thing to take a break every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by levvis View Post
    I swear I think some tracks even by themselves are out of time.. fucking bananas
    Sometimes they are . If my ears tell me that something sounds out of time, but I can't find out what's wrong, I take a 2 bar loop with a variation at the end and play it over the track you want to check. If the variation drifts, you can tell the track is out of time. Real easy to do and you notice it immediately.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Walk away from the decks... Its not your girlfriend, you can just ignore it when it pisses you off.
    Its counter productive to 'always' battle against it.

Stay away for however long it takes for you to really really want to get on the decks again.
    You will soon get your "mojo" back as Austin Powers would say.

if you need something to get your teeth into and a slightly different direction to refresh check out the 'will they blend' link in my sig...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

yeah sometimes im just not into it. the energy and the focus isn't there to make it work. no big deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast