[OT - slightly]: iTunes, Music Business and Society

Default [OT - slightly]: iTunes, Music Business and Society

A few weeks ago there was a big debate (more like argument) on here talking about downloading MP3s of a tune you already own on vinyl. A lot of you guys seem to be interested in that kind of stuff, so I figure I'd share a research paper I wrote on iTunes and its effects.
    It's by no means a perfect paper, but I think there's some valuable info in it that some of you guys might enjoy (and probably already know).
    Anyways, you can read it here:

http://www.thevlyhouse.com/2011/01/t...pread-effects/

If you do muscle through it, all comments, critiques, criticisms, etc... are appreciated!
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Interesting, that's for sure. I was always curious as to how much an artists makes on iTunes and if living off it was even feasible. Sounds very difficult considering the 12,000 tracks a month to make minimum wage.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Very few artists actually "make money" off of album and single sales. That's the record label's profit pony. Artists really make their money from performances.

And now record labels, trying to secure their own profits are starting to dig into artists' performance and merchandise profits.
    Stanton t.52, Staton t.62, Stanton m.212 mixer, Akai MPD24, Akai MPK25, TSP, MIDI Fighter

Thanks for the comments guys.
    And yeah Sano a lot of artists are signing on to "360 Deals":
    In the music industry, a 360 deal is a business relationship between an artist and a music industry company. The company agrees to provide financial support for the artist, including direct advances as well as funds for marketing, promotion and touring. The artist agrees to give the company a percentage of all of their income, including sales of recorded music, live performances and any other income.
    "The business arrangement is an alternative to the traditional recording contract. During the first decade of the 21st century, revenues from recorded music fell dramatically and the profit margins traditionally associated with the record industry disappeared. The 360 deal reflects the fact that much of a musician's income now comes from sources other than recorded music, such as live performance and merchandise." (From Wikipedia)

Still looks kind of lame to me...
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com