Music Blogosphere: Cool or Bullshit?
    Tech Guru

Default Music Blogosphere: Cool or Bullshit?

yo so i've been out of the loop as far as the whole blog thing goes for the past year for one reason or another. i got into it big time for awhile around 2008-2009, it seemed like the hot thing going on because it was a decent way to find shared promo tunes and if you started a blog a decent way to get promos in your inbox.

so what's going on with that now, is it still cool or a dying trend? are producers still sending quality promo stuff to bloggers or is it mostly just crap tunes from newbs trying to get their foot in the door?

The music blog universe is actually very matured these days.

Sure there's HypeM indexing and all of the bullcorn that is published there. But for the most part it's becoming less of a piracy lifestream for new jack DJs compared to a few years ago. Legitimacy is driving the success of most of the good ones these days.

My favorite music blogs are the ones ripping obscure but relevant old vinyl finds, scanning the artwork, and offering a history lesson in each post. There are a lot of treasures to be found at blogs like these that would otherwise be lost in DJ Hoarder's record shelves, or some OCD-ed audiophile's "do not play" reserve, or auctioned across the country on ebay.

In a lot of places it's impossible for anyone to drive around town on weekends on a good old-fashioned crate dig due to the limited proliferation of records in this day in age. These blogs provide a suitable alternative.

Tech Guru

word... have you seen http://beatelectric.blogspot.com/

that was one i used to check out religiously that would be right up your alley.
    tons of vintage soul & disco rips.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post

I love you!!
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I honestly think that the entire blogosphere is kind of a joke. There are individual writers that I like, and a couple of them have blogs about various topics. But I see it as a step further into the rectum of the internet than the worst forums I've read.

I haven't really gotten into music blogs specifically, so it's possible that I just haven't found the good ones. But, I have yet to find any significant writing or cogent prose in any of the ones I've looked at, and most of the music kind of sucks.

As far as finding old songs…there are probably a few old-school geeks (no disrespect) with nothing better to do with their time that have some gems. As far as new stuff…I think that surfing soundcloud and–much more significantly–mixcloud is a better use for my time.

I don't want to read some hipster wank douchenozzle talking about how some specific new subgenre is awesome…that's how mathcore was invented. And, I'm not convinced that the outlook most of the authors I've seen seem to share is at all capable of discovering and breaking new music.

I hate it less than, say, political blogs that make wild claims based off of insufficient or inaccurate information and propagate the absolutely asinine mindsets that have been dominating at least american political culture for the last several years. But, I don't really see it as better.

In short, no accountability + advertising revenue + success being based on search-engine optimization and social network support + nearly free startup costs + feeding already overinflated egos + the complete lack of your entire readership to evaluate your intelligence and thought patterns = a giant g** da** clusterf***.

Blogs are worse than /b/.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post

I was like dang!!! Jackpot!

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I love you!!

Group hug!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

kindly obliged fellas