Live gear, what to prefer?
    Tech Convert

Default Live gear, what to prefer?

Hi!

After being on here and reading for a nice loong period i've decided to up my game, so i became a member and i've decided to start playin clubs and not just play at home.

The thing i'm wondering is this:

I have a digital controller (Mixtrack Pro), nothing fancy at all. But it works and i love it. Some midi-kontrollers also but that doesn't make a difference.

Like I said; I wanna start playin in clubs and such and I need some advice of what gear I should use.

My Mixtrack Pro (would it work?).. Should i buy a S4 and wait until then to play clubs (I'm planning on buying the s4 later this year)? Would that work in the club?

Or should i use CDJs and a mixer? I mean , the club i've talked to have that already and so do all the venues from my understanding.

Should I put my energy at training on CDJs? and forget about my "digital training"?

The reason i wonder what gear to prefer live is because all the professionals i've seen uses CDJs and NOT digital controllers (I think i've seen Ean with that too). They use hybrid systems i think?

Is there a quality difference?

Please just post ur thoughts about the subject, no need to answer all of my one million questions.

The core of it all:

- What solution should i use live? Digital, CDJs or Hybrid (CDJs + Traktor)?
    - Why do prof. DJs use CDJs?
    - is there a quality difference?

This is gear for LIVE-perfomances, not what gear i wanna learn on, use at hom etc.
    Last edited by firrre; 01-29-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Tech Mentor

CDJ's are used because of reliability, check out the post on skrillex who cancelled a show because of a laptop failure (which is completely ridiculous and pathetic in my opinion).

MIDI controllers are very fun and great for effects and such, but it will be a long time before the professional DJ industry takes them seriously enough to 'install' them in clubs.

Best thing to do is bridge the gap and get a DVS system, that way you can store all your tunes on your laptop, but still use a clubs equipment to play your sets.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by firrre View Post
    What solution should i use live? Digital, CDJs or Hybrid (CDJs + Traktor)?
    Whatever you're comfortable with using. Plopping down a VCI in the booth is really not as big of a deal as people seem to think. If you really wanna take a step backwards in technology just to be cool then go ahead and get some tape decks with pitch sliders, chicks love those.

Why do prof. DJs use CDJs?
    Mostly because they've been at it for a while and controllers didn't exist when they started.

is there a quality difference?
    No.

Tech Convert

Thanks for really fast answers!

Thats good that it doesn't matter if I bring my own gear.

Because if i would make it as a DVS system, wouldn't it take more time to set it upp with their CDJs, mixer and my laptop?

If i wanna go live now, do you think my Mixtrack Pro would do the first times in student clubs or even "real" club venues?

I think im gonna buy some used CDJs just for the fun of it and to sometimes use their gear. (like if i can't take my controller with me or it broke etc).

I think that would be the best idea, make myself comfortable with CDJs so that i can choose which one to use. Do you agree?

Yes. It can't hurt to learn to spin on everything you can.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

student clubs, yes…real venues…well, I wouldn't expect it. If you get hired and you throw down a great set, great. If you get the set and are anything less than perfect, they'll call you a worthless amateur and never bring you back.

Especially with a mixtrack pro…the thing is great beginner gear, but…IMHO, you'd need to upgrade before you're taken seriously. This industry is flooded with people in your position: bedroom digital DJs are a dime a dozen…even the good ones. Someone who looks unwilling to commit to what they're doing and pony up the cash for a 'good' controller or a 'real setup'…just isn't worth considering when any good-sized US City has 10,000 of him.

If I was a GM or a Promoter and someone came to me with a demo, I'd obviously talk about his experience, his taste in music, why he's in it, how he intends to build a following, etc.. But, I'd also ask about gear…it's something I know a fair bit about. If he mentioned any budget/beginner controller besides a VCI-100SE…if he mentioned VDJ…if he insinuated or said that controllers were the future with a $200 budget beginner's setup…I probably wouldn't listen to the demo. I'd be polite, and I keep trying to see if he was decent, but…I wouldn't listen.

If you already know how to beat match manually, and you have the money to afford CDJs and a mixer to practice on, and you don't use any features of Traktor that aren't also on CDJs…I say just buy a CDJ setup…your life will be easier. If–like me–you actually use some of the features of Traktor that aren't available on CDJs, invest in a good controller and get ready to argue your position…walking that fine line between respecting the old school and paving the way for the future.

I've been turned down a few decent club gigs because I said I took a more "controllerist" take on playing live. I guess I didn't fit the stereotypical "CDJ DIRTY DUTCH HOUSE MUSIC I AM SOMEONE FROM THE JERSEY SHORE" crowd.

(People from the US understand what I mean . . . )

Tech Convert

Good point there mostapha.

Hehe, nunz i feel for ya hehe.

Well, you've helped me alot!

I'm gonna buy two CDJs and a mixer (nothing fancy but just so I can get used to it) and later this year i've decided to buy the Traktor S4.

So when I'm gonna play live I can sort of feel the Venue Manager and choose gear after that: Use their CDJs with my laptop or just use my Traktor S4.

That seems to be the best option by far.

Thanks alot!!

You've probably already made your mind up but I'll throw my two bob in there as well.

Don't spend your money on CDJ's and a mixer if you are just going to go out and spend again on the S4 later in the year.

If you want to play clubs rip your music to CDs, book a gig, find out what gear you will be using, youtube tutorials and overview of said gear, play gig.

Do this until you buy the S4, providing you do it well and you start getting more bookings then you rock up to the club, pull out your S4, hope to god that there is room for it in the booth, plug in - impress.

You just have to be confident that first time, if you aren't then it will go to shit. If you are then it will go great, the booking agent or promoter or whoever it is that you need to impress will be impressed and then you take it from there.

It really just comes down to confidence, and if you aren't confident then act like you are.

For me, and this is probably because I'm a poorly student who wishes he had the money to go out and buy copious amounts of gear, I would save the money. No point in buying gear that you are already planning on replacing before purchasing it.

But once again, that's just my opinion.
    VCI 100se l Audio 2 DJ l Traktor Pro l 13" Macbook l