why do other dj's hate when you play commercial?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default why do other dj's hate when you play commercial?

Ive noticed over the years that whenever a dj plays the more commercial songs of whatever genre he gets criticised, the crowd, music lovers, just want to have fun and dance, the dj's in the crowd hate on him for playing the most requested songs, ive seen this alot in the club scene.

Ive mixed for years the best unknown tracks from international producers and have had good response, but recently i decided to play or mix a set with some commercial im talking super commercial, like pop artists house remixes and it is way more noticible the attention that ive been getting from clients.

so im more than guessing that i will be hated for mixing this among my fellow dj's, the question is are we hating for someone progressing or are we hating because of the no talent artists that im giving the time and atention to blast through my system?

as i understand djing, it's always a thing of finding the gems, which might be big some weeks after you found and span it.

i really noticed this last summer, when i got we no speak americano some time it got big in the states and way before somebody knew it from german tv comercials, so i played it quite a lot then. when i first saw it on tv, being used for some crappy ad i stopped spinning it. every now and then i play a remix, but not very often..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

I feel it all just depends on why you're DJing. If you're into playing Pop remixes and commercial stuff or do it because you're "making a living" at DJing, that's fine. My personal preference is towards a DJ who has sifted through the crap and is giving me what they think are sick tracks. Either way, only you can decide whether you're going to let the haters get to you. If you're feeling what you're doing and people are dancing the who the F cares what one or two people think.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Convert

i feel it all depends on where you dj!

top 40 clubs will love you for it but when played in an underground scene you'll be questioned and people will think twice about you; if they want to hear we no speak americano/ david guetta music they'd just go to a top 40 'commercial' club right?

when i go out to hear other djs (international or local [playing underground music]) play, i listen and want to hear songs that I've never heard or go for the sound they spin.

depends on the scene, you won't be 'hated' play your style according to the venue and crowd base; do you.

cuz they think ur selling out
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

I remember as a youngster meeting local dj's and event organisers, and they would never sit on a track for more than a few weeks.. they were constantly looking for new music to serve up. One fella summed it up for me pretty well, he saw his job as introducing tracks to punters that they would never hear otherwise, but would love just as much as the radio tunes, without the cheese. I guess playing commercial music negates these aspects for those sorts of dj's.

Oh and don't forget - it is easier to hate than outclass.

Cuz they're haters!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

theres different philosophies really.

educate or make the crowd happy by playing stuff they know.

i say do both. play a mix, make sure you hit their favorite stuff, or remixes thereof and play new stuff too.

people dont go to the club for a music education. they go to dance, drink excessively, and hopefully wake up next to someone they whos name theyre relatively unsure of.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

f that...i played the shit out out of lawer's mix of timberlake's "sexy back"...if you like it...play it...

pretty f-ing simple...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Yeah, just ignore them.

They probably hate on you for playing on controllers anyway.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast