The Region Restriction Co-Op Thread
    Tech Guru

Default The Region Restriction Co-Op Thread

*~snip~*
    Last edited by tekki; 01-30-2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Wizard

Quote:

Territory restrictions are in place to ensure that all interested parties have control of distribution within their territories - this does mean that some territories will miss out on certain releases. This must be frustrating for ppl and I do sympathise. In a dream world the label with the Australian rights will make the track available on Australian sites at the same time as the other label releases in other territories - however this is not common in practice. I have noticed a lot more worldwide deals being struck now - this is partly the influence of digital distribution but also due to the shrinking of the market in general and consequently labels need to be able to sell in all potential territories in order to recoup. There are several sites out there who aren't respecting these territory restrictions, technically this is in breach of contract a lot of the time.

Found in an interview with www.clickgroove.com @ www.purehousemusic.net
    Gear: 2 CDJ800 MKII + 1 CDJ800 MKI, EFX500, stanton SMX401

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Unfortunately, morals aside, doing this is just as much a copyright infringement as 'bypassing' the territory restrictions to just buy tracks from the cheapest territory.

I'd be very surprised if Beatport or anybody else agrees to this. If they, their partners and their stakeholders thought it was OK, then they wouldn't have the territory restrictions in the first place, no?
    Just what I am thinking.

SO that's basically what I have against it, and why I do believe this could harm the name of the DJTT community.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

The only point worth making here is that if Beatport read thread this they will jump down DJTTs throat.

Leave the morality, legality out of it, cus it only ends in an argument about what IS and what SHOULD be illegal. Fact is that it breaks Beatports rules and it would be solely DJTTs problem.

I dont want this forum getting into bother cus i like it here.

If peeps wanna do this they should take it off the forum.

Jus sayin' ... i dont care either way cus i dont buy off Beatport.

Thanks man. I think I'll just leave it at that, close up shop and clean it out.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --