Can Vinyl Be Ripped Using the S4

Default Can Vinyl Be Ripped Using the S4

I should have done this when I had my A8 setup.

I have my turntable RCAs connected to the S4 input Channel D. I flip the "thru" switch and I get audio (out of my monitors which are connected to the S4). Obviously nothing is passing through the software, so I cannot record it. In the past I have used the inline sampling option in Audiograbber to rip vinyl, but it is not picking up anything.

Any thoughts?
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Like you said since it's passing through I don't think it'l record, but I haven't tried it either. I think trainspotter will rip vinyl though because it was built around ripping vinyl.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Rca from master out to the line-in on your laptop instead of monitors, or split it for both in mono - then record with audacity or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    Rca from master out to the line-in on your laptop instead of monitors, or split it for both in mono - then record with audacity or something?
    You just gave me an idea. I have a pci audio card in my computer. I will route a rca from the s4 out to the audio card. Thanks

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rhombus_77 View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Yes, absolutely, you can use the S4 to digitize vinyl. Either use channel C or use channel D but don't set it to "THRU."

Quote Originally Posted by rhombus_77 View Post
    You just gave me an idea. I have a pci audio card in my computer. I will route a rca from the s4 out to the audio card.
    Wouldn't do that. Using the S4 on its own will yield better results.

Quote Originally Posted by itskindahot View Post
    Yes, absolutely, you can use the S4 to digitize vinyl. Either use channel C or use channel D but don't set it to "THRU."

Wouldn't do that. Using the S4 on its own will yield better results.
    Okay, I have the phono rca's plugged into the S4's input channel C and the switched turned to phone. I am not getting any sound. I does show sound coming through the the left and right C channels in Input Routing in the Preferences menu. What am I missing?

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Tech Mentor

Ok, hardware settings (TT connected to S4 using channel C which is set to phono) are good.

Without running Traktor, play a record on your TT. (You won't hear any sound coming out of your speakers.) Assuming you're on 7 or Vista, next you want to right-click on the volume icon in the system panel of the task bar. In the context menu which pops up, select "Recording devices."

The window which appears lists a number of devices. One of them should show a response in the digital VU meter (from the record which is playing). Hopefully, that's one of your S4 inputs. (You can also set that device as the default recording device by selecting it and clicking "set default.)

Make a mental note of the name of the device. You will later select it in your recording software. For example, in Audacity, you would go to Edit -> Preferences -> Devices and in the pull-down menu under "Recording" you would select the input channel of the S4 you made a note of above.

Thank you so much. That did the trick!

Beat Gridding Tutorial