Attn: Mods - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Attn: Mods

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think we need to focus more on getting the FAQ set up to have the answers for most of these questions that are constantly repeated. Bento asked earlier if there were new threads that should be added to the FAQ and the response was a little lackluster tbh. On the subject of FAQ's if a mod wants to do something change the FAQ in the menu bar at the top to point to the DJ FAQ and not the how to use the forum FAQ. I know it's a sticky, but with the big letters that say FAQ at the top newb's may be seeing that and skimming over the sticky thread thinking it's the same.

If you have newb questions that seem to get constantly repeated and they're not already in that thread post it in there so a mod can add it. If the question is in there and you didn't realize it I suggest bookmarking it and when that question is asked politely point them to it.
    I posted a couple, they didn't get added...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

our moderators do a great job indeed - ESPECIALLY for free!

it may be time to add some more moderators into the fold, as because people do it for nothing it can be hard for them to dedicate the time needed. a few more moderators may help spread the load and keep things in order?

I think we need to focus more on getting the FAQ set up to have the answers for most of these questions that are constantly repeated. Bento asked earlier if there were new threads that should be added to the FAQ and the response was a little lackluster tbh. On the subject of FAQ's if a mod wants to do something change the FAQ in the menu bar at the top to point to the DJ FAQ and not the how to use the forum FAQ. I know it's a sticky, but with the big letters that say FAQ at the top newb's may be seeing that and skimming over the sticky thread thinking it's the same.
    you're right, the FAQ is both outdated AND easily skimmed over. it gets lost in amongst all the stickies. (i think we can unsticky the tshirt contest now)

you've all sold me on the idea that a dedicated newbie section isn't a good idea. its just a bandaid suggestion. constant newbie questions on same/similar topics tend to be steered off topic quickly and the helpful answers can get overlooked.

the suggested newbie forum wasn't to come across as an us vs them elitest thing, i want newbie's to get the help they come here for - especially the young ones (they are the future afterall). we were all newbies once upon a time!!

maybe the FAQ would be better suited as its own forum category rather than a sticky? that way people are more likely to see/read it, and the need for a 'newbie' section would possibly be reduced. a djtt faq wiki would be good for this also, but a dedicated general FAQ forum would be a lot less work!

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Off Topic threads is what started the General Discussion forum.
    not true, read back through.. most of, if not all topics were digital/dj related questions for a long time.

I agree with xtianw that some off topic chatter helps keep traffic flow and boosts morale when things go stale, heck i post the occasional OT myself.... but when a good percentage of new posts are OT posts, that can't be good for traffic - especially new traffic.

a potential new member with a question might get deterred from posting if they see 3/4 of the first page of the general discussion all OT without digging through a couple more pages.

karlos - yes too many half naked girls being posted (i know, i know.. trust me it was hard to type the words let alone say them out loud)... mods should be deleting the posts to ensure the high standard i guess.

i dont want to sound unappreciative and dont want people to get out of joint and take it the wrong way, i just want to try and help the community a little!

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    FAQ as its own forum category rather than a sticky? that way people are more likely to see/read it, and the need for a 'newbie' section would possibly be reduced. a djtt faq wiki would be good for this also, but a dedicated general FAQ forum would be a lot less work!
    this, plus this

it may be time to add some more moderators into the fold, as because people do it for nothing it can be hard for them to dedicate the time needed. a few more moderators may help spread the load and keep things in order?
    set up an faq bit, and put a couple of the more 'knowledgeable' members in there as new mods/advisors, leaving the current ones to continue focusing on rest of site as normal?

SoundCloud

With newbies, there is a deeper issue at play than the newbie issue they cannot resolve. It is they can resolve them by a) the manual b) google c) forum search.

This knowledge did not come easily. Much blood was spilt. But this knowledge will stand them in good stead forever. Who knows, one day, it may even save their life.

Give a man a fish and he will eat today. Give a man a fishing rod, he will eat everyday.

A long winded way of me saying that it's OK to say RTFM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I'm not quiet accustomed to this new, more on topic and mature Brad.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by itskindahot View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree with Josh's points. So +1 to both ^^^
    Any one +1 from here, risk getting muted through my offtopic filter.
    Like one exists right?
    Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    I posted a couple, they didn't get added...
    Where are they, will see to it.
    our moderators do a great job indeed - ESPECIALLY for free!

We have talked about it, and there will be an addition of two others, though as I understand correctly, they have not yet been contacted by Bento.
    If he has not done it by tomorrow 20h CET, I will take it upon myself contacting the soon to be new mods.

This is my promise to you, my dear DJTT Community members!

you're right, the FAQ is both outdated AND easily skimmed over. it gets lost in amongst all the stickies. (i think we can unsticky the tshirt contest now)

you've all sold me on the idea that a dedicated newbie section isn't a good idea. its just a bandaid suggestion. constant newbie questions on same/similar topics tend to be steered off topic quickly and the helpful answers can get overlooked.
    Just be sure to contact JesC, midifidler, fatlimey and myself, we will see this gets sorted ASAP!

maybe the FAQ would be better suited as its own forum category rather than a sticky? that way people are more likely to see/read it, and the need for a 'newbie' section would possibly be reduced. a djtt faq wiki would be good for this also, but a dedicated general FAQ forum would be a lot less work!
    This is actually a good point, though I think people will actually avoid it even more easily.
    But I will discuss it with the other mods.
    not true, read back through.. most of, if not all topics were digital/dj related questions for a long time.
    Yes this is true, only was this discussion amongst mods and administrators, behind the scenes and not for public.

I agree with xtianw that some off topic chatter helps keep traffic flow and boosts morale when things go stale, heck i post the occasional OT myself.... but when a good percentage of new posts are OT posts, that can't be good for traffic - especially new traffic.
    Still, if the thread carries the [OT] marker, people know what's up.

a potential new member with a question might get deterred from posting if they see 3/4 of the first page of the general discussion all OT without digging through a couple more pages.
    One more perfect example of why people should use 'search' more often.

karlos - yes too many half naked girls being posted (i know, i know.. trust me it was hard to type the words let alone say them out loud)... mods should be deleting the posts to ensure the high standard i guess.
    I am deleting when it truly becomes NSFW. If it is still SFW it's cool by me.

i dont want to sound unappreciative and dont want people to get out of joint and take it the wrong way, i just want to try and help the community a little!
    Hey, much appreciated!

No worries, about sounding non-appreciative, you've got some good points.
    I'd rather have the members be sharp and critical, than have members state that the forums are shite, and don't have any solid arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    set up an faq bit, and put a couple of the more 'knowledgeable' members in there as new mods/advisors, leaving the current ones to continue focusing on rest of site as normal?
    Once again a good point.
    We do have a big moderator group, but there are only a few still heavily active.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

I just wanna give me two cents here.

The one thing I think that bugs me the most, is te member that are posting DJ mix and production work in the general fourm. There is alerady a forum set aside for that however everyone posts there mixes in the general forum. This really needs to be cleaned up, and users that violate that rule realy should get some kind of temporary ban maybe for a day at first but after three violations they get banned for a week.

Im a member on another forum called pocket fives, its a poker forum. If you post bad beats in the general poker forum they move them right away. then if you do it a few more time you get a two week ban.

Just a thought.

oh and a newbie thread is really a bad idea, no one but newbies will go there.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Tech Guru

i think this forum could benefit from an off-topic subforum where the regulars can take their non music/dj related conversations.

the general discussion forum is just way too cluttered and OT threads seem to account for at least a good 25% of the general discussion posts.

it's kind of ridiculous that if you don't log in for a couple days you have to go back like 10 pages to get caught up on what you've missed.

I'm not quiet accustomed to this new, more on topic and mature Brad.
    scares the crap out of me, lol

SoundCloud

skipping 2 pages of reading and:

dont divide this. if there werent 3 topics on this 1 board i would never see the others.

the newb bored would just get clogged up

OT would be alright

and the GD might get forgotten. (at least by me), so then some wont see important news and such

the traffic flow would change to much

i was literally thinking about this before seeing this thread.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Banning's are NEVER PRODUCTIVE. PLEASE don't even entertain the idea.

Ban spammers, by all means. Ban trolls, by all means - but don't give genuine, active members temporary bans as punishments.

Please.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast