Traktor S4 software
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor S4 software

My friend's Traktor S4 will be at his door in two days, although his computer kinda crashed and he asked if he could install the software on my macbook in the meantime since according to some forums: you can register the software on max two computers.

The question is though: Is it possible to use the S4 software without the controller itself and use an external mixer with some X1's and an iPad therefore sparing me to wait for the next traktor version and possibly look in to an Audio 8 DJ soundcard?

I'm pretty sure the S4 software is hardware locked to the S4 controller, same way the old Torq was locked to their Xponent and Connectiv boxes.
    I could be wrong though.
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

My friend uses his traktor s4 and a midifighter thing that he made with the s4 software so I think it will work, aga

My friend uses his traktor s4 and a midifighter thing that he made with the s4 software so I think it will work, again not sure

The external mixing mode is disabled by default but there was a way i saw to enable it, cant remember where i saw it. other midi controllers do work with it also

edit: found it, here http://www.traktorbible.com/en/kontr...xing_mode.aspx

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by safefire View Post
    I'm pretty sure the S4 software is hardware locked to the S4 controller, same way the old Torq was locked to their Xponent and Connectiv boxes.
    I could be wrong though.
    it isn't

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

You can use the S4 software with any midi controller and any soundcard. There is no "lock" or any restrictions other than External Mixer Mode but there is a workaround that Conall has linked in his post.

Open Settings.tsi with an XML editor (you can use word or notepad in a pinch)

Find this entry

Change the Value to 1 and external mode is activated.

Reload S4, now go back to Output Routing in the S4 prefs and even though external mode does not show up, it is actually activated. If you choose internal again it will reset and you will have to go through this process again. A good idea is to make a copy of your settings.tsi and replace the original when you want to use another soundcard.

This is from the Traktor Bible by the way, very helpful *cough*
    Last edited by Jester; 02-02-2011 at 02:28 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "