Is age a problem?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Is age a problem?

I'm not looking for an excuse for me not getting much gigs, but more in general: Does your age matter when you are trying to get gigs? Will the clubbosses take you serious wheb you are (like me) 16?

And how old are you?

I would of thought it'd be harder to get some gigs at your age, just coz you need to be old enough to get into wherever it is you want to play.

In the UK for instance, most clubs will be 18+

I think once you're past that initial cutoff point though age ceases to matter - it's more about ability!

I've seen people in late teens, thirty's and even 70+ rockin partys lol.
    So no: not a problem. If you're old enough to get into the place where people are partying then it shouldn't make a difference what age you are.

if you have the skills, age shouldn't be an issue - however im sure it would be more often than not.

the problem is in most countries liquor licensing laws and regulations prevent minors being in licensed venues - even as performers. some countries allow minors under the supervision of a legal guardian. this can be a bit of a problem tho... we all dj to get chicks (dont we?) and i imagine having your mum standing next to you in the booth would be a serious cock-block!

my advice would be to contact the management of clubs in your area and suss out what the regulations are and their view on the subject. maybe try and get a foot in the door playing underage gigs in your area, and if there aren't maybe speak to the club owners/managers and suggest doing a once a month underage gig on a sat or sun afternoon or even a midweek night (as not to clash with their busy weekends) during school holidays.

doing the underage gig's isn't a bad idea when you think about it, as when you'll be of legal drinking age most of the kids from the underage parties will be too... then you've got an instant following! once club owners see you can pack out their club when you play, after a few months you can renegotiate for more money.

Tech Mentor

Oke, well in The Netherlands liquor age is 16. And there (in my region) are some clubs for 16+. Should I just mail them or something?

Also, how do you feel about age restriction for clubs and bars?

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    we all dj to get chicks (dont we?)
    No. I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Risc12 View Post
    Oke, well in The Netherlands liquor age is 16. And there (in my region) are some clubs for 16+. Should I just mail them or something?

Also, how do you feel about age restriction for clubs and bars?
    On topic again - check out the underage scene in your area, and wait till you're legally allowed to be in the adult venues you want to play. In terms of getting gigs, it's the same old shit we all go through - go to nights, get to know the people that run the show, press flesh, get your mixes into theuir hands etc etc

Means is that you should be fairly shit hot by the time you are allowed in the clubs though, as you'll have got a fair bit of practice under your belt.

On age restrictions, it makes sense if you're not allowed to be in the club then there's no way you can play there really ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

+18 here, either to play or club. Started spinnig at that age, I'm 24 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    No. I don't.
    Of course you don't, 5 dolla holla gets them

Tech Mentor

if i were 16 and i wanted to dj out in clubs what i would is start getting into heavy production. start writing your own tracks so in two years by the time you are old enough you will have some bangers to play that you wrote and hopefully that will get your name out there faster than just good "dj skills"

Tech Guru

I am 19. Here in gainesville it is more of a skill matter.
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

@tristancary. I'm trying to get into production, but can't figure out the synths, even tough i'm kinda tech guy... Do you have any tutorials that were helpfull to you? I'm now playing with Reason. But all the tutorials out there are about Reason features, not about basic synth stuff, get what i mean?

Tech Guru

[ame="http://vimeo.com/1758371"]DJ Derek pt. 1 on Vimeo[/ame]
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/1758440"]DJ Derek pt. 2 on Vimeo[/ame]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast