New to DJing!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to DJing!

Tech Convert

Default New to DJing!

Hey guys! My name's Jake, I'm 14 years old and I'm new to DJing. Recently, for Hannukah/Christmas, I just got a VCI-100, Headphones, and 2 KRK Rokit 5 speakers. I also currently own a macbook pro. Now, I've been experimenting and trying new things out, but I'm not still not sure if I'm even mixing. I'm trying to figure out what all the keys and buttons do. I was wondering if there are any basic tutorials on mixing with the VCI-100. I spoke with someone who I think belongs here, and he said to come here. I'm also going to get a m-audio protrack sound card so that I can cue. But first I just want to get the hang of mixing. Can anyone recommend me some tutorials, or what to do?

Thanks so much.

try checking out you tube

Tech Convert

I did.

And Did It Help At All ?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

A good place to start for basic ideas of mixing are DJ Tutor and youtube searches for DJ techniques. Now, I know DJ Tutor gets a lot of bad press but his explanations of mixing, beatmatching, etc. are very well done for the beginner. There are also a whole bunch of mixes now of controllerists and DJs using a VCI-100 up on YouTube. B33SON's is fucking amazing, and gives good screen shots of stuff. I'd recommend checking it out.

Now, I know that everyone praises Ean Golden's videos, and I love them, for the brand new DJ I wouldn't recommend them to get started (same with Moldover, though they are really cool to watch).

Sometimes the best bet is to record what you're mixes, burn em to a CD or drop em in your iPod and listen to them. Is that what you want it to sound like in a club? Or on the radio or what have you? If not, what could be different? Also, there are books about mixing and DJing in general that are really good.

So, good luck to you. You're getting an earlier start than I did.

Good luck
    Jared
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Hah! Thanks a lot man! I'm going to look up some of those youtube videos that you talked about. And your idea about getting a book, just made me really happy. I didn't even consider buying a book, like "The beginners guide to mixing". Thanks a lot, you guys seem a lot more helpful here than DJforums.com. Also it seems that most people use the VCI-100 here, which is also very useful. Thanks a lot guys! See you around on the forums!

DjFar posts like that dont really help anyone.

Here are a couple videos to check out-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5rc99VMqB8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=252OX...eature=related part 2

That guy is just new to the game but he does a pretty good little introduction in easy to understand terms

Also check out all of Ean's videos-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/eangolden

For the super basics of the trade there is Ellaskins djtutor, he doesnt talk digital but he talks about some techniques that are still relevant to digital djing-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ellaskins

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJNeon View Post
    I didn't even consider buying a book, like "The beginners guide to mixing".
    We all learn differently, and that book, I've been told, is an amazing way to learn to spin. I can't really learn just by reading a book. I need to be shown what to do hands on, or just hit buttons until I get it right.

Good luck to ya. There are some of us who really pride ourselves on getting the new DJs going.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    DjFar posts like that dont really help anyone.

ya i realized that after i posted the reply i should have made it more detailed

Tech Mentor

Maybe we should sticky this?
    By the way Neon, you're very lucky to have that setup at 14!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast