Recording Gain Issue
    Tech Wizard

Default Recording Gain Issue

Ok so I'm having an issue keeping my mixes as loud as possible with out clipping. I'm using traktor with an external denon x1100 mixer, from the mixer main out (unbalanced) I am going to line in 7/8 on my audio 8 and routing that to logic pro. On my main out I'm keeping a steady -3 db's through out the mix, but it seems that when recorded into logic it was way lower. When I turn up the gain I clip in certain areas of the mix. Any idea's on what this could be. Is there a some sort of pad on the audio 8 that I don't know about? Maybe in Logic? Any help would be great.

Hi Tem

Tech Wizard

I meant to say +3 dbs on the master out btw.

Tech Guru

I like to keep my mixes etc. @ 0 gain. Then I edit the mix in Audacity afterward so I can't get a good volume without having to worry about clipping.

But yeh, there should be a sweet spot between +3 and the clipping point you described right? Watch the volume meter at the top of Traktor, obviously you don't want it maxing out (Red dots)

Tech Wizard

Do you just compress and limit in audacity? Or do you actually change the gain of certain parts of your mix?

Tech Guru

I'm guessin you have some distorted mixes you would like to save? Maybe this bit of info would help: http://recordrestoration.com/04-Remo...20Audacity.htm

Like I said, I've never had to edit a mix that had clipping points because I record it at a lower level and then turn it up a little bit by adjusting the gain on the right of the track.

But yeh, I could compress and limit if I needed to.

You could trying running the mix through Platinum Notes.