Replacing HDD in MBP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Replacing HDD in MBP

I have a 120GB hdd in my MBP, and I am not really happy with that as I am running a dual boot with Leopard.

Then I found this little article, which is pretty much very thorough on how it could be done: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2119528,00.asp

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the HDD in a MBP? I mean, could there be any complications with lets say, Heating etc etc?

Hey Nemo, I just read the article, it looks pretty tough to replace the HD, but it can be done. If your worried about overheating, I wouldn't worry, my friend has a mbp for video rendering and he got the HD replaced by an authorized apple store, I check out the tech do it, and it should take you around 1 hr if its the first time doing it. He hasn't had any issues. If you dont want to play operation with the MBP, take it to Mac tech and play the $100 to get it upgraded and bring your own HD. I have a 320 GB 7200 rpm HD in my MB and I haven't had any issues.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

I'll be happy to guide you thru the process. If u live in L.A. I'll be happy to do it for a fee . But it's really easy to do, I do them all the time. Pm me to guide you thru the process
    Thank Ya!!!

An hour to replace the hard drive ? Jebus christ ! Takes me about 10 minuites to replace the hard drive inside of my dell. I wonder why they made it so difficult to replace the hdd :\

Tech Mentor

I don't think it's very hard, check out instructables, the have some good guides. Just make sure you have the right torx driver etc. Doing stuff like that on a bed can be easy too.

just my two cents.

Tech Mentor

an anti static strap would probably be best to use when working on any laptop, I never use them on normal cases, but just because everything is so much smaller and closer together is reason enough for me to wear one.

I reckon do it yourself! you get the self satisfaction and learn something in the process.

hdd temp isn't nearly as bad as cpu temp. Just checking ministat pro, my cpu temp is around 65-70 degrees while the hd temp is at a steady 24 degrees. I have a macbook.

Tech Mentor

1 Remove the 10 screws around the unit
    2 Remove the 4 screws located in the bottom case
    3 Remove the 3 screws that cover the ram.
    4 Remove the 2 screws located in the battery compartment in the outer edge of the unit.
    5 Remove the 2 hex screws located beneath the ram cover.
    5.5 Remove the top case by pulling it upward. Dont go to high because their is a data cable connected to it. So pull it up just enough so you can detach that cable gently from the logic board.
    6 Remove the 2 screws located in the right side of the hard drive
    7 Detach the data cable from the hard drive. Be gentle don use any force.
    8 Remove the four screws from the hard drive and replace them in the new hard drive.
    9 Work your way back to step 1.
    10 Make sure to format the HD before installing the OS

Ive replaced hard drives with higher rpms and larger sizes, you hardly notice any temperature changes. Again, any questions pm me.
    Thank Ya!!!

The only reason I said 1hr is being that he is going to be playing DR. with his MBP and he has to be referring to the online step by step guide
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Cheers!

It is not the replacing itself I am too worried about, it is what happens after that does hehe.

If I should need any help, I will scream

What drive are you putting in there? I have a mbp and was thinking of upping the hd space too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast