(vci-300 (vfx1) vs maschine) vs kontrol s4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default (vci-300 (vfx1) vs maschine) vs kontrol s4

K well i got the vfx-1 and i'm not gonna lie.. its a little disappointing.. im sure that there could be some crazy shit done with it but it seems alot like it only good for "Hooks" and creating "Thicker" Build-ups .. (if the sound seems unfullfilling.. i dunno how else to make that make sense... )
    So heres the thing.. Could i run a maschine off of itch? annnd/

should i jus drop the vfx-1 cause i only got like 4 days left to return it n then sell the vci-300 n get that S4?? or is the maschine doing everything the S4 could do n more?1?!?
    (if its bridge-able)
    Cause that s4 is lookin mighty attractive n the vfx-1 makes me feel like i spent too much on something that "appears" to come standard on the s4...

So there// is the mashine bridgable to the 300? / Should i drop all my gear n pick up an s4? / or should i drop the vfx n pick up a mashine?

Tech Guru

look at my sig.

Get an S4. For what your looking for it's the best solution.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Get rid of the vci-300, Buy an S4.

You'll be much happier as a person.

Tech Guru

S4 is a better controller and TPS4 is a better software then ITCH is!

ITCH + Maschine: Maschine bridge to ITCH is not supported and is very unprobable to become supported. ITCH will very likely get Ableton bridge. When that comes, you'll technically be able to load Maschine as AU/VST plugin into Ableton. That'd be a too complicated setup and will require a very powerful computer to run all three programs together.

Understand that Maschine on one side can not be compared to neither VCI-300 nor S4 on the other side. You cannot compare totally different types of instruments (it's like apples vs oranges?!?) What you can compare though is S4 + Maschine vs ITCH + Ableton on the other. So if your real question is if it is worth to upgrade the VCI to S4 and get a Maschine, well that's one of the most amazing setups and I vote +1 million for it.

So where's the bad part - the bad is that both combos are practically future/potential options:
    1) Currently, ITCH does not support Ableton. It may in the future, but until it's a fact, it not known.
    2) S4 + Maschine is not natively supported yet. There's a rumor that Maschine will be bridgeable with Traktor 2.0. That's expected and very probable. Whether S4 will get the Traktor 2.0 update for free is also unknown. It will hopefully become clear very soon, when Traktor 2 is officially announced. As of now, it's possible to bridge them using Soundflower/JackOSX/VAC, but it's complicated.

My personal advice would be: return the VFX, get rid of the VCI-300 and get an S4. If you continue to feel tempted by Maschine, go and get it too. Even if you have to pay something extra to have TPS4 -> TP 2.0, the Traktor 2 + Maschine combo is amazing and knowing NI's pricing, it will be affordable.

my $0.02

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by knaumov View Post
    S4 is a better controller and TPS4 is a better software then ITCH is!

ITCH + Maschine: Maschine bridge to ITCH is not supported and is very unprobable to become supported. ITCH will very likely get Ableton bridge. When that comes, you'll technically be able to load Maschine as AU/VST plugin into Ableton. That'd be a too complicated setup and will require a very powerful computer to run all three programs together.

Understand that Maschine on one side can not be compared to neither VCI-300 nor S4 on the other side. You cannot compare totally different types of instruments (it's like apples vs oranges?!?) What you can compare though is S4 + Maschine vs ITCH + Ableton on the other. So if your real question is if it is worth to upgrade the VCI to S4 and get a Maschine, well that's one of the most amazing setups and I vote +1 million for it.

So where's the bad part - the bad is that both combos are practically future/potential options:
    1) Currently, ITCH does not support Ableton. It may in the future, but until it's a fact, it not known.
    2) S4 + Maschine is not natively supported yet. There's a rumor that Maschine will be bridgeable with Traktor 2.0. That's expected and very probable. Whether S4 will get the Traktor 2.0 update for free is also unknown. It will hopefully become clear very soon, when Traktor 2 is officially announced. As of now, it's possible to bridge them using Soundflower/JackOSX/VAC, but it's complicated.

My personal advice would be: return the VFX, get rid of the VCI-300 and get an S4. If you continue to feel tempted by Maschine, go and get it too. Even if you have to pay something extra to have TPS4 -> TP 2.0, the Traktor 2 + Maschine combo is amazing and knowing NI's pricing, it will be affordable.

my $0.02

pioneer confirmed the bridge for itch. serato employees confirmed the bridge for itch to me in person at namm. ableton is doing most of the work so, its on ableton right now.

now as a guy that actually owns both of these, let me say this. you have to get used to understanding how auto tempo works vs your beats setting. you can get much MUCH more liquid and wet sounding effects out of serato than you can traktor (since serato's effects are all post fader).

but it does take some getting used to. i can glitch with repeater almost as cool as stutter edit does in ableton now.

but that said, ive been focusing on my mixes and set programming more than anything else after realizing doc martin sounds better with just turntables than anyone on the planet with an s4. just by having unbelivably solid dj'ing skills.

if you arent feeling it, get rid of it. if you are feeling it. keep it.

but it sounds to me like you dont know how to work your vfx-1. which i can understand because it took me about 3 weeks to really feel at home with it.

good luck.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Wizard

Alrite well i went n had a look at a couple things and i think that i am going to return the vfx-1/ and try n sell off my vci-300... Im gonna get enough to buy a NS6 - Its coming out in may/ its a 4 channel/ and it comes with 2 effects knobs per deck. It should be at a price that in the same market as the s4/
    And you are right.. i do not know shit about the vfx-1 but i definetly am havin a wicked hard time with it..
    I just want to add as much as i can to my show/ If you are really good with the vfx-1 then u should send me some kinda message maybe tellin me what im blind to because i feel like im not thinking in enough dimensions to solve something that has won awards ...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sepdanger View Post
    Alrite well i went n had a look at a couple things and i think that i am going to return the vfx-1/ and try n sell off my vci-300... Im gonna get enough to buy a NS6 - Its coming out in may/ its a 4 channel/ and it comes with 2 effects knobs per deck. It should be at a price that in the same market as the s4/
    And you are right.. i do not know shit about the vfx-1 but i definetly am havin a wicked hard time with it..
    I just want to add as much as i can to my show/ If you are really good with the vfx-1 then u should send me some kinda message maybe tellin me what im blind to because i feel like im not thinking in enough dimensions to solve something that has won awards ...
    ummm

i dunno who told you the NS6 is coming out in may. but i can pretty much guarantee you that if it is, its may 2012 lol.

seriously they dont even have a working prototype yet. let alone a refined production run going. thats standard numark though. they were almost a year late with the ns7, the v7 was about 8 months late, and they canned the x7 after doing HUGE pr for it last year.

all they had to show at mobile beat and namm was a case that lights up with no internals lol

ill be SURPRISED if its out AT ALL in 2011
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Wizard

So pretty much either pick up an s4 with an x1 or jus keep the 300 with the vfx1.. i wouldnt mind the 2 extra tables to work with.. im thinkin that is the better idea

Tech Guru

well, this would be easier to answer if we knew a bit more about you as a dj so we can help you find what fits your needs.

how old are you, how long have you been spinning, and what kind of music are you playing?

Tech Wizard

im 21/ i started saving up for the vci-300 3 years ago/ it took me a year through which i was using "iDj" and strictly keyboard shortcuts with no controller/ and was still able to do parties/

I've been rockin the vci- for 1 solid summer/ this is gonna be the second (maybe)/ i do house boat parties for grads and charities- I always end up doin house parties cause my equip is soo portable and easy/

I'm getting a new mac as soon as the next gen comes out/ (2-3 months) (15" and im upgrading it aftermarket to save money-
    and the music i play is alot of tech/house Electro/house - some top 40 (for the grads cause they always request that stuff)/ and alot of d-mau5 and skrillex/ with some dubstep just cause i practice in my basement and sometimes end up just havin a couple drinks n spinnen at my house/

I give lessons to some friends who are interested and i take lessons from the head dj at the local "Major" club.. (by that i mean i am invited to go n stand behind the 2 dj's n watch what they do in terms of crowd reading/ substitutions and general song selection and rules/ I get g-list n everything cause im a nice guy n the head dj knows im just tryin to learn/ plus i get to meet alot of people in that community)

I like to make remixes and mash songs / but i try to do it with out simply playing one over the other- (but essentially thats what it is)
    -Im working on "The Reward is B.S." - D-mau5 and ducksauce/ (i usually prerecord mashups n play them live cause its still hard for me to get the timing perfect with everything- but i do mix in and out of those using non-prerecorded stuff/
    im enjoying the vfx-1 for this even tho i know im returning it soon .. i think..
    Last edited by sepdanger; 02-06-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast