At A New Gear Crossroad... What Set Up To Choose??
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default At A New Gear Crossroad... What Set Up To Choose??

Hey guys, its been a while hey! Man I've been so busy with work its crazy! Well guys lately I've been making some decent cash recently from Djing, and from my day job so I've decided its long over due to upgrade my set up in the next cpl of weeks. The thing is I'm in a bit of a dilema as to what to get.

As of now I Dj on a cruise ship and guest Dj at clubs and at parties when I'm at home. I use my controller pretty much most of the time, but sometimes I use my TSP timecode. So now this is where I'm not sure what to choose..

Should I get the KS4 and flog off my RMX or wait for the new TSP and get an X1?

Both look like great set ups, I'm just not sure which is better. The KS4 is great for all the reasons we know, but the new TSP which will be coming soon with an added X1 also looks sweet and its excellent IMO.

I know you will probably say go for the one which suites my needs more, but the thing is, they both do. Having the KS4 is an all in one solution and great for me cos I travel alot, and I can also hook it up to any system, but having the new TSP and an X1 will also be great and convenient and I can just hook it up to any mixer at any club or venue. Pricing wise I think it will probably work out to about the same price, although theres no news on the new TSP price.

So you see my dilema? I'm not sure if any of you are in a similar situation or not, but what would you do, what do you think would be the better option? I'm open to any suggestions or ideas guys. Thanks in advance!

Dustin V
    Last edited by Dustin V; 01-30-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

It's a tough pick being that we know what the KS4 does, but for the next version of TSP its still up in the air, if you can wait, just hold off a couple months
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    It's a tough pick being that we know what the KS4 does, but for the next version of TSP its still up in the air, if you can wait, just hold off a couple months
    Yeah I understand you, but I've been waiting so long already to upgrade my set up I was just waiting for the cash to come in, and now I've got it I wanna upgrade now! lol..

I will be buying my new MBP next month and then my set up afterwards but I dont want to wait longer than 2 months.

Ahhhhhh its so confusing...
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Guru

Funnily enough i'm almost in exactly the same position.

I own a Hercules RMX, due to space restrictions etc. i've just been using controllers (Rmx and Mpk Mini), but i'm moving to a new flat next week and have been buying vinyl again - will be picking up some 1200's and new TSP once i have the money.

The thing for me is, i just can't seem to shake the feeling that controllers just aren't as fun as vinyl. I've been doing a lot of controllerism, playing with live remixing, loops, beat juggling etc. which i do admit i really enjoy, but when i'm playing a set where all that stuff isn't needed (Or wanted) i miss cueing and beatmatching the old fashioned way, especially the touch of vinyl.

So i'm going the TSP route, with my MPK mini for cues/fx/loops, so i can just turn up at a club with timecode, backup Vinyl/CDs, laptop, soundcard and headphones...all of which i can fit in one bag.
    Even better i can just turn up with a bag of vinyl, carts and my headphones.

I'm still a tiny bit unsure, mainly because of the large outlay, but i've been sold to it since i had a little session at my mates the other night, remembered how much i love vinyl - just owning it is a pleasure.

Best of both worlds with TSP, can even have a backup controller incase the TT's fuck up.

Banned

Get the 4midiloop

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Get the 4midiloop
    Ok but how would that help me in my current situation?

That looks more like a midi mixer IMO, not something thats pertaining to my situation, but thanks for the suggestion mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin V View Post
    Ok but how would that help me in my current situation?

That looks more like a midi mixer IMO, not something thats pertaining to my situation, but thanks for the suggestion mate.
    If you don't scratch, it's a great all-in-one controller for up to 4 decks in TSP or TP. I don't think it'll work great with sample decks. And it's expensive if you want to scratch…and not as good as a battle mixer. So, yeah…it's not bad for an all-in-one, but…you'll probably like the KS4 better than it…and the KS4 is cheaper.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Wait until the new version is announced, then make a decision.

if the rumours are true (pretty well founded rumours having been published on the DJTT blog and Skratchworx), the announcement about the new version of TSP should be tomorrow. So sit tight for another day before making your decision!

Given your current options I'd go for the S4, an all in one solution with the promised timecode support not far off now.

That said, i do also love my X1
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Personally I am sure (as sure as a random no one a.k.a. me) that the Traktor Kontrol S4 will get the same updates that you'll be getting with the new TSP although they probably both will be paid updates.

That being said, i'd grab the S4 for sure, and then take it from there and possibly add an X1 to my setup little later down the line (or now if I had the cash).

I'm actually debating whether or not to pick up an X1 or a MIDI-Fighter next.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast