Turntableism

Thread: Turntableism

Default Turntableism

I loves this post on CreateDigitalMusic from "Sizzurp Sippa", and I think it contains a lot of wisdom:

I defy anyone to watch the movie “Scratch” and then say that turntablism isn’t an art worth preserving.

Turntablism is most definitely an art worth preserving, in the same way playing jazz saxophone is an art worth preserving.

At one time though, turntables were the cheapest and easiest way for some young kid to go out and rock music… since records and turntables were the ubiquitous technology of their day. Turntablism was all about underground youth culture and enpowerment… they didn’t fetishize the turntables, they were simply the best and cheapest technology available at the time.

But nowadays, laptops and mp3s are the ubiquitous technology among youth. Turntablists are more and more like virtuoso jazz musicians, very talented and still making great sounds, but no longer relevant in that rebellious underground youth-culture sort of way.

Turntablism has become the realm of respectable adults. Q-Bert is 40 years old, and people are doing tasteful documentaries like Scratch.

P.S. Sorry about the title, I obviously don't speel well on Mundais.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, yeah, Turntablism is an art worth preserving... I think, however, that the people here are trying to combine the art of turntablism with the ubiquitous technology of today, building a new art form that is unlike both its predecessors.

Much like Led Zeppelin took Blues and turned in into heavy metal, or how Elvis took country and turned it into rock, or how George Clinton took jazz and turned it into funk.

:-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Still need to get my hands on a copy of scratch. I saw mixmaster mike in the preview and it was awesome!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

this is technology pushing music to another level
    Thank Ya!!!

man i love scratch one of my favorite docs.

turntabalist i respect so much. I still listen to certain artist to give me inspiration like. Dj Baku and many more and Dj Red.

I love seeing turntabalist use ableton for there looping tho lol.