VCI-300 vs VCI-100 vs Torq Xponent
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default VCI-300 vs VCI-100 vs M-Audio Torq Xponent

Hi all,

So I've been doing as much research as I possibly can for the last two weeks all in order to get back into DJing after a 2 year lapse. The biggest reason was because i was a vinyl DJ and I never had time to search for tracks as I travel loads for work, and this really meant i never had any of the latest greatest tracks. Since i have found hypem.com and beatport.com finding tracks has been a breeze and within 2 weeks I've got over 100 awesome tracks at my disposal and I am ready to get back into the swing of things.

The question is after doing tons of research its still a very difficult decision, for all those who are also first time buyers and first time digital heres what i have come up with so far (i'm not going to go overly technical but I have linked to some good youtube reviews of each):

(PLEASE HELP ME UPDATE THIS LIST WITH PRO'S AND CONS SO NEW BUYERS CAN GET AN UP TO DATE PICTURE)

VESTAX VCI-300 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sfaHVm...eature=related
    Pros
    • Great hardware build quality
    • Most accurate controller to date (perfect for scratch dj's)
    • Awesome look and feel
    • One of the latest MIDI controllers - latest technology

Cons
    • Designed orginally only for Serato Itch
    • No effects as standard
    • Relatively expensive

Mods
    djtechtools are doing custom mapping here for traktor pro: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1375

M-Audio Torq Xponent (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xUIi1u5OJF4)
    Pro's
    • Custom built for Torq - great mapping
    • All in one unit
    • Effects as standard
    • Middle of the range price

Cons
    • Tacky build quality (feels plastic)
    • Poor sex appeal (looks like a toy)
    • Designed for Torq as standard, torq hasnt been updated in a long time

VESTAX VCI-100 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fv_vWW...eature=channel
    Pro's

Cons
    • Not so pretty out of the box
    • No soundcard built in

More VCI-100 Ean Golden Vids: INTRO's http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qUtfC7...eature=related, http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a-_EKf...eature=related

AS you can probably tell i'm leaning towards the VCI-100 since its been out for longer, its cheaper, it has great mapping/mods set up to Traktor Pro which from what I've seen looks like the best software for my purposes. I originally was going for the Torq Xponent before i discovered this website since it had everything i wanted, such as effects, all in one ready to go. But the VCI-100 + Traktor Pro combo looks miles better and cheaper (if you already have traktor pro or know how to get it).

Lend me your minds!
    Last edited by samdaman; 12-26-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Tech Wizard

Btw my previous setup was 2x technics 1210's and a vestax mixer.

I also looked into Traktor Scratch Pro and using my old set up and I think I've decided against this because of the cost for just the software + vinyl setup, with still no midi controller purchased. I also want to be moving away from vinyl even tho they look cooler they take up to much space and aren't versatile in terms of programming. It makes it easier to do parties with etc as well.
    Last edited by samdaman; 12-26-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, keep in mind that if you integrated your setup with Traktor Pro you would only need to carry two pieces of vinyl (or 3 or 4 for backups) of timecode, and you'd have access to all your music, and still have the vinyl look, and the possible addition of a MIDI controller.

Now, if you know that's not what you want, then we have to look at your options.

Now, I think the VCI-100 is a beautiful machine out of the box. Granted, the SE is prettier, but black makes everything prettier. The cost is less than the other two options but it doesn't have an external sound card, so you have to factor that into your budget as well. Granted, a VCI-100 and a sound card can be cheaper than the VCI-300 and the Torq.

The VCI-300 also has 14-bit output, and the new update of Traktor Pro is going to support 14-bit. I'm not a big fan of onboard sound cards cause, well, I think modular set ups are the way to go with what we do, but that's a personal preference to a large extent. I also like big set ups with lots of knobs and buttons all over the place. :-)

Hope this helps somewhat.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Definitley, didn't realise about the lack of soundcard, will add that in as a con. Whats your opinion on the VCI-300 vs VCI-300 with Traktor Pro, theres no custom "skins" right on the VCI-300?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

No, and I doubt there will be. Personally, I think the VCI-100 is the best bet for Traktor Pro. It isn't mapped perfectly to it, but, well, the VCI-300 offers NO effect control, which in my mind, is a large part of the appeal of T-Pro.

If you are going to be doing things that requires 14-bit MIDI (pitch fading, scratching) then the VCI-300 and something on the side for effects might be a good idea. But if you're just going to be using the controller for stuff that doesn't require 14-bit I'd say go with the VCI-100. *shrug* But it's a personal thing.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

With some smart mapping there's no problem controlling the fx in t-pro with the VCI-300,
    altough serato itch there are no fx's and many other things.
    I you still want a vinyl kinda feeling vci-300 and itch are great.

Tech Wizard

Yeah but VCI-300 is in the process of being mapped with the mini translator right? ON this site. So this will mean it will have effects soon.

Tech Wizard

Just to clarify, im going to be mixing electro.. not a scratching fan myself.

to me scratching and electro go together like milk and cookies!

and my vote goes for the vci-100!

my vote goes for the vci-300 (what a surprise as i am owner of one )

my personal opinion is that it is a really rocksolid controller, the built-in soundcard makes it possible to carry around even less stuff...
    and if you let your tracks be synced by traktor pro, then you also have enough controls for fx (at least i do) as you can use the jog wheels, the pitch fader and the line faders for fx (that's my current mapping of it and it works like a charm for me). if this mapping wouldn't work for you you could still use a korg nanopad or nanokontrol (around 60€), i'm owner of a nanokontrol and although it feels a bit cheap it really has a good price and works quite well.

i personally don't know the xponent, so i can't give you my opinion on that one, but i don't think you can do anything wrong with the two vci's. they're great pieces of gear and the help of this community making them nearly unbeatable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast