The reason WHY A&H sounds warmer than Pioneer - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Vly View Post
    Interesting to know!
    Is there any info on what Traktor's internal EQs are set at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    I would love to hear about the Ecler Nuo series. I love these EQs, that's why I always use these when mixing internally in Traktor.
    I'd love to get a scoop on the internals of Traktor as well.
    I'd love to be able to set custom EQ points in Traktor, as it is one of the reasons I've been mixing in Ableton more and more.

I took a dig at setting up some of the EQ's you mentioned in Ableton Live and comparing them. The contrast is stark really, it's amazing how much the Live EQ Eight sounds like the DJM's when set up to it's paramaters, and I can definitely hear a 42 sounding vibe going when I plug those numbers in as well.
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

One thing people haven't talked about is the input amplifier, which can definitely have a coloring effect on the audio. As for the Traktor EQ's the only thing I can find is cut amounts but no info on the center point and Q factor of each frequency band.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Working on your post count?

As this has no relevance to the point of the thread, witch, if you were wondering, is to hold a constructive conversation on the specific "color" certain DJ mixers have, and more specifically WHY they sound the way they do.

Based on facts, DJTT users experiences, and published technical information from the producers of said mixers.

....*sigh*

...Tonight I'm going to go over some Rane and Vestax manuals and plug their frequency points into my mixer and see what I find, will add to the original when I'm done.

Cheers mates.
    Dang, sorry mate

Price is definitely an issue since some people may choose Pioneer for reliability and brand rather than "warm sounds" alone due the fact that not all club settings may have the correct speaker system/placement thus making "warmer" sound muddier. If you want real "warmth" just use vinyl.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    Dang, sorry mate

Price is definitely an issue since some people may choose Pioneer for reliability and brand rather than "warm sounds" alone due the fact that not all club settings may have the correct speaker system/placement thus making "warmer" sound muddier.
    Totally agree, OPs response was OTT to say the least.

This is definitely a horses for courses situation.

I've had people say KRK monitors add too much colour etc.

Seriously, these brands would die out if pros didn't like using them.

I haven't commented on this thread because frankly, it's boring
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Exactly.

To each their own.

I just felt it was an interesting insight into an already accepted fact.

And then I felt like sharing that with the community to see how they responded to it.

People with adjustable EQ settings have been confirming what I found.

And this thread has nothing to do with price, or even buying a mixer for that matter.

This is purely a technical discussion on the difference in "tone" between different mixers.

And the fact that the individual frequencies a certain mixers "tone" control are set too do have a significant effect on the overall "tone" of the music reproduced.

That wasn't to say there are not other things going on. In fact in my original post I stated I didn't believe this was the only card at play, and I asked for input on what exactly, for specific reasons, what else may be affecting "tone" of a specific mixer.

Exactly.

To each their own.

I just felt it was an interesting insight into an already accepted fact.

And then I felt like sharing that with the community to see how they responded to it.

People with adjustable EQ settings have been confirming what I found.

And this thread has nothing to do with price, or even buying a mixer for that matter.

This is purely a technical discussion on the difference in "tone" between different mixers.

And the fact that the individual frequencies a certain mixers "tone" control are set too do have a significant effect on the overall "tone" of the music reproduced.

That wasn't to say there are not other things going on. In fact in my original post I stated I didn't believe this was the only card at play, and I asked for input on what exactly, for specific reasons, what else may be affecting "tone" of a specific mixer.
    Sure, no need to jump down the man's throat though right?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Sure, no need to jump down the man's throat though right?
    No, probably not.

There was also no need to mock my thread.

If it doesn't speak to you, don't post in it, that simple.

Disrespecting my opinions by merely mocking the intent of the thread (which had nothing to do with how much mixers cost, or even purchasing mixers at all) was unnecessary.

Although that certainly doesn't make me being an ass about it necessary

Tech Mentor

This is, quite simply, untrue.

I don't know where you heard this.

If this statement was true then digital music production, and reproduction would simply not work as we know it today.

How is this not true?

If I have a fully mixed and mastered track (audio source) running into my DJ mixer, I cannot add to the sound of that track by turning up a certain EQ band. Yes it will make that band of EQ louder and colour the sound, but that is far from adding to an audio source.

I can however add effects to it and sonically change the sound, but that is a sonic change, not a dynamic or EQ based change.

Also, the example you gave is not true. If you remove -3Db from the high and high mid, then turn the gain up +3Db, you will get not the same overall sound/response if you add +3Db to the bass EQ.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

I didn't say you would get the same sound response on both.

I said that the option for witch would yield the most pleasing response would depend on the music it was being applied to.'

They both obviously color the music differently, and I described why, but thats not to say one is inherently better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
    How is this not true?

If I have a fully mixed and mastered track (audio source) running into my DJ mixer, I cannot add to the sound of that track by turning up a certain EQ band. Yes it will make that band of EQ louder and colour the sound, but that is far from adding to an audio source.

I can however add effects to it and sonically change the sound, but that is a sonic change, not a dynamic or EQ based change.
    They are all "change"

How can you tell me that if a signal is made to be louder (no matter where in the frequency spectrum) that nothing has been added to it.

Wattage has been added to it. Period.

And by your example, subrtraction still does not work any differently than addition.

As you roll the EQ down you do not DELETE frequencies, you merely make them quieter.

Witch in turn CHANGES the color of the sound.

Going up with EQ is an ADDATIVE change.

Going down with EQ is a SUBTRACTIVE change.

Doing one, or the other, will have a different audible response when used to tune musical "tone".

And that is not to say that one is MORE suited for tonal adjustment.

You have to be judicious with BOTH. Subtracting too much signal is going to sound terrible just as, conversely, adding to much to a signal is going to sound terrible.

With one you are allowing signal noise to interfere because of a poor signal-to-noise ratio.

And with the other you risk clipping the signal.
    Last edited by exokinetic; 02-08-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast