Developing a Brand
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Developing a Brand

As I push forward in 2011 I've had to think a lot about what im doing, where im going, and how im going to get there with my music.

In doing so, I've realized a name isnt enough. A name is something everyone has, even if you change it for the sake of a profession. It's still just a name.

What I need isn't a name. I need a brand.

Brands produce things. People develop "brand loyalty".

I now realize I need to become a brand if I want to be successful.

This realization has given me a profound perspective on my "name"

Xtian isnt going to cut it.

Discuss....
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

I used to go by the name 'Teiresias' (I blame getting into the internerd and signing up to forums when I was abnout 16 and reading lots of Greek Myth at the time) No fucker could pronounce it, knew what it was, and I got to hating it.

I'm now Sherlock Ohms, people remember it, I'm getting more bookings and I prefer the name - enough that I've sorted out the URL, and email addresses using it. Having a blog has helped my google coverage and getting a good graphics designer to do my card has helped ...

It depends on how well you're know under your extant name ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Guru

something simple but memorable.

personally i like names that immediately give you a sense of what the artist is about... but that's not for everybody, it's pretty subjective i suppose.

one thing to keep in mind
    if you have a certain audience you're targeting be mindful of your demographic.

for instance a lot of house and techno artists use their full name, like Richie Hawtin and Carl Cox.

a lot of breaks & electrohouse artists use almost music-related superhero type names like Stanton Warriors, or funny/ironic names like Deadmau5

I guess it's about what kind of persona you want to project, when I see a name like Richie Hawtin the first impression is that this guy is serious, not much of a goof on stage, probably isn't going to show up in an elaborate costume etc.

where as when you see a name like Deadmau5 or Bloody Beetroots you get the impression that they are projecting more of a playful, theatrical vibe for their persona.

Agreed. If you're serious about your DJing, It certainly helps to stop and think about your name/logo/branding. I think there was an article about that too on the frontpage.

And as strange as it sounds, having some marketing knowledge does help you in that way. It only takes a few days to write a solid marketing plan which does give you an insight into your market, niche, competitors.

Of course, don't live by a marketing plan, but use these insights to find your sweetspot and rock it the fuck out!
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Ha I think alot of people have went through this stage.I remember asking the same question and a buddy told me, don't rush it something will come to you. About a year later the name sidetrakd just stuck! Every time I was going into my studio I'd say to my girlfriend " back in a minute or back in a bit " only to get sidetracked and appear hours later!

Tech Guru

A title given to something represents its distinctive label, so in a way the name is the brand. Its kinda the same thing or they o hand at hand with each other. When you think Ean Golden what do you think? His brand.

I think distinctive is the keyword here.

Xtian sounds to me like some Taiwan-based shoddy electronics. Sorry my .02.

Let your friends help you in the naming. Althou you can have an idea of yourselve, friends can easily put you in a box and label accordingly.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Guru

bump
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Mentor

Get a mask with a shitload of lights is all I can think of. That and lazers, lots of lazers.

I know, I'm no help...

How about an ironic branding? I had a friend that had a tattoo that just said TATTOO with a blue stripe above and below it like how grocery stores used to have their own generic brand of something that just said BEER, SOCKS, etc. Anyway it was memerable and people would refer to him as the guy with the generic tattoo tattoo. So maybe just

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast