Organising Tracks ?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    It is kind of a legit question though. People do it differently, some by genre, some by tempo, some by artists etc. Good to get a mixed audience's perspective and then go for you own mixed version.

Personally, I'm about to re-organise my collection by key and then by tempo. SHould be able to do harmonic or tempo mix very easily then, able to find compatible track sstraight away.
    That sounds like so much work! How many tracks do you have?

Tech Wizard

Yeah exactly.

In some minimal albums there are banging tracks and minimal tracks, so would this mean separating them from the album name into key or tempo folders thus potentially getting the artists all mixed up??

20 gigs of tunes can take a while to sort..

Tech Mentor

since you really seem to have no idea:

sort your tracks in playlists, it is much easier on your harddrive capacity than having every track 5 or 10 times in different folders.

i started to use the intelligent playlist in itunes, after i read the article from dj endo on dubspot, works for me, but only due to the fact that i have scanned my tracks with mixed in key and can categorize easy that way.

all hail to the king in Camelot!
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    That sounds like so much work! How many tracks do you have?
    A lot. BUT, I know I don't use all for DJing. Therefore, gonna start off using the ones I know I use and build collection up from there.

Will be relatively easy actually. I just used Mixed in Key to detect the key, and then within every key folder have tempo folders like 80-90, 91-100, 101-110, 111-120, 121-130 etc.

Mixed in Key will work out key and tempo for me. I then intend on sticking the tracks in Traktor and work on beat grids to find actual temp. Hey presto.

Won't take me too long at all. Using Mixed in Key is the only additional step really.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

sebastiannz

i've tried a lot of different ways of organising my tracks and I found the best way for finding the right track for 'the moment' is to organise by intensity. That is, low intensity is pretty minimal, not too much stuff going on (deep house or minimal tech house usually), while high intensity are the epic bangers with everything going on (Eric Prydz). I split all my tunes into 3 groups, 1 being the lowest intensity and 3 being the highest. This means there is a bit of genre overlap, e.g. I could have a low intensity tech house track with a low intensity nu-disco track. This is quite handy cos it means you aren't limiting yourself to a genre.

In practice it works pretty well...I'll start off with low intensity stuff and mix around in genres to keep it interesting. Then I can crank it up if I want to by going to a 2 or 3 track, and then bring it back down to keep the stamina up. On top of this you of course have key mixing. So you can stay in the 1 folder but still do key changes up to keep the energy.

It also forces you to think about the tune you just downloaded...where would I play this in a set...is it really pumping (3) or more of a builder (2)? Of course in practice you might find that a 3 is actually much more of a 2...but that's DJing

There's heaps of ways to organise your music, you just have to find the way that works best for your musical 'brain'

and obviously the main thing is to make sure it helps you find the right tune, faster.

Music organization??

I have 2 folders, Music and Shit. Just delete the Shit folder monthly.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Mentor

Currently i only mix a couple genres of music.. so i order my crates by month.
    This is helpful to me if i am wanting to play music that is new and current and then dip into the old crates for those tracks you just got to drop
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiannz View Post
    In practice it works pretty well...I'll start off with low intensity stuff and mix around in genres to keep it interesting. Then I can crank it up if I want to by going to a 2 or 3 track, and then bring it back down to keep the stamina up. On top of this you of course have key mixing. So you can stay in the 1 folder but still do key changes up to keep the energy.
    This bit sounds pretty good. However, how "pumping" a song is can be subjective and differ by listener.

Might try this one though. If I set my folder structure as:

DJ Tunes > Intensity > Key > BPM > Tracks

In theory, I should be able to shift intensity, key and similar BPM quite easily, able to find my matching tunes straight away.

I've got a bit of a scatty brain so need my collection to be fairly well organised or I'm bound to forget where the gems are!

How do you determine your track intensity, out of interest? I play all genres but revolve stuff around electro/electro-house. I use anything from Beach Boys through to Bloody Beetroots, Proxy etc and anything inbetween.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

popatheart

Directories are so 2000. Use iTunes and metatags to keep your library and playlists organized. Import each album with care, making sure everything's properly labeled, tagged, etc.

I always run mine through mixed in key before importing them into itunes.

Tech Wizard

seems like there's a whole lot of different methods and processes organising tracks. I'll probably stick to knowing the relevant tracks inside out.. and thanks for all that interesting information..

Seems like Ando was just being a big classroom bully after all - first he mentions it's really easy to organise tracks, then elaborates 'mixed in key' organisation and smart itunes playlists is the way forward, which is quite a contradiction! Not sure what tracks he's trying to organise but by the sounds of it seems like pop and britney spears.. haha just kidding man.

All hale Ando for his insightful input..
    Last edited by digiman08; 02-11-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast