playing vinyl thru the s4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default playing vinyl thru the s4

Just wanted to know if you can play turntables thru the s4 without the computer being on?...

i'm interested in using turntables at home without a phono amp and also using them as a backup for a computer crash...

thanks in advance

j

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Nope.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

So 'thru' doesn't work if switched to phono?

As far as I can tell, 'nope'.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Nope indeed
    MacBook Pro / Dell XPS - S4 - Traktor Pro 2 - CDJ2000 - DJM900 Nexus - TMA-1 - Technics SL1200 MKII - Rodec MX 180

http://soundcloud.com/dj-pablo-korsou
    http://www.house-mixes.com/artists/DJ_Pablo_S/

This wouldn't be like having a ipod hooked thru on channel D?

I think the issue is if the mixer part of the S4 kontrol works when the computer is powered of..
    MacBook Pro / Dell XPS - S4 - Traktor Pro 2 - CDJ2000 - DJM900 Nexus - TMA-1 - Technics SL1200 MKII - Rodec MX 180

http://soundcloud.com/dj-pablo-korsou
    http://www.house-mixes.com/artists/DJ_Pablo_S/

Tech Guru

Find a way to load traktor s4 onto the ipod and then run it through channel D )))

I mean with how much better their mac programming is I'm sure the ipod has plenty enough hardware haha.

Quote from Chilly on NI Forums:
    "You can hook up your backup device to Channel D. Set the input to Line. The important step here is that you need to be using the AC adapter.

If you'd like, start S4, wait for it to load, then unplug the usb cable (simulating a 'crash'). Start playing off your backup device (make sure the channel fader for D is up).

Works like a charm and is how I am using it. Also, this is covered in the manual."

Quote from Laite in same thread:
    "My solution is to connect a device to Channel D RCA and then flip the switch on the back to "THRU" and select if the input it phono (for vinyl decks), or line (for basically everything else). Voila, you have a fool proof solution, if SW crashes, press play on the device which is connected to Channel D => music will play.

Positive thing in this approach is that you don't need to e.g. configure your channel D to be "live input", so you won't lose your fourth deck on Traktor.

Negative thing is that only way to control the volume of the backup device is by using the master volume control on the kontroller and you won't have any possibility of using effects on this channel. But hey, we're looking for a backup solution so I don't think that matters. Another thing is that you'll need to have the AC adapter connected."

So looks like you can

Tech Convert

Thanks for moving on with this one guys I'm really keen to play vinyl thru the s4 (should I get one) and also would prefer to use it as a back-up solution.

So am I right in saying that the (RIAA) phone preamp is built into the controller and works independently of the Traktor software? If so, that's excellent news and puts me my a step closer to buying the S4.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast