Windows Equivalent of a MacBook Pro - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Albeit I have never seen either of those products...

I'm basing my opinion solely off the informations from the manufacturers web-sites.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Tech Guru

its cool, this should be interesting.

kyle loves to put a manufacturers feet to the fire to see if their claims are bs or not
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Rain modifies the base BIOS, as well as the OS they sell you, on top of optimizing this, and all the drivers for the device, for the most popular music and video production software.
    yeah, im with xtian on this... gonna call shenanigans till told otherwise.

i bet you they do nothing that isn't achievable by ANYONE with knowledge of how to access a bios and regedit

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271792

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic
    Just like in the Apple world, another key is to find a good manufacturer. I know I've been bringing up Rain lately, but that's because they've thoroughly impressed me with not only their product, but also their service. When I had a problem with my computer when I first received it, they went to great lengths to make sure I was satisfied. And in the end, I have a computer that I don't have do any special tweaks to that runs DJ and production software extremely well. I know that Rain Computers are more expensive than many typical PCs, but as long as you're dealing with a retailer with a good return policy, you're going to be happy even if you don't have the opportunity to get your hands on the box before you buy it.

Really, I don't approach buying a PC any differently than I would approach buying anything else that costs more than $500.
    i was educated by him a little. i haven't used a windows system for personal use in like 6 years[at my job is a different story], so i have fallen behind some things when it comes to setting up windows systems for audio applications. but with this rig, you don't really need to do any kind of os tweaking out of the box.

i heard of rain a few years ago, when i found that guitar center was selling that brand. but by that time i was already on a ibook, then a 24" imac, and now a 13" mbp.
    Last edited by Jason Cerna; 02-10-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Tech Guru

i mean it sounds to me like what they are doing is no different than what they do at the microsoft store with their "signature optimization"
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

I too would love more detailed information on what they are ACTUALLY doing.

But just calling bunk on their advertising with no information yet is kinda closed minded.

So get more detailed infos!

lol... cause I want to hear em.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Tech Guru

new line of apple products coming out in about april...
    im waiting for a macbook air
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Guru

LOL. Right when they say modified the operating system it means making an image with some services removed and some programs added. Changing the innor workings of windows would be illegial(if selling)/extreamly hard. You can customise it urself tho. Custom bios are made by all the big laptop manufactures to increase stability. The big ones have alot more resources so generally get better results.

The Lenovo ThinkPad T410 2522 is a good option if you are not doing anything graphics intensive ie latest games or video mixing. It is very well built and well designed laptop. It has very good review and user ratings.

The usb port on the right of the machine is extreamly well powered so perfect for a soundcard. The 3 on the left are also powered but not as well. It also has firewire.

Any decient windows machine can be as stable if not more stable than a mac. It is generally a better coded operating system. This is because it has to be able to run on so many pieces of hardware and it is subject to alot more attack. Apple can often take a very long time to patch stuff.

Cheap windows machines use cheap parts so will allmost never compete. I think spending 850 on a good laptop is more than enough for djing.

Audio encoding is nothing compared to audio and video so you really dont need anything that great. I have seen ppl run traktor pro on a net book with no problems

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    LOL. Right when they say modified the operating system it means making an image with some services removed and some programs added. Changing the innor workings of windows would be illegial(if selling)/extreamly hard. You can customise it urself tho. Custom bios are made by all the big laptop manufactures to increase stability. The big ones have alot more resources so generally get better results.

The Lenovo ThinkPad T410 2522 is a good option if you are not doing anything graphics intensive ie latest games or video mixing. It is very well built and well designed laptop. It has very good review and user ratings.

The usb port on the right of the machine is extreamly well powered so perfect for a soundcard. The 3 on the left are also powered but not as well. It also has firewire.

Any decient windows machine can be as stable if not more stable than a mac. It is generally a better coded operating system. This is because it has to be able to run on so many pieces of hardware and it is subject to alot more attack. Apple can often take a very long time to patch stuff.

Cheap windows machines use cheap parts so will allmost never compete. I think spending 850 on a good laptop is more than enough for djing.

Audio encoding is nothing compared to audio and video so you really dont need anything that great. I have seen ppl run traktor pro on a net book with no problems
    Totally agree.

Once your running Traktor as fast as it can be run, anything above that is absolutely unnecessary.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast