Windows Equivalent of a MacBook Pro - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

...hackintosh discussion is still banned.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

Just to follow up on the Rain thing a little...

When I was at Stanton, we worked with those guys a LOT when BestBuy was rolling out those Monster sponsored DJ stations in select stores. In that almost year long process, I learned that the Rain guys actually work directly with chipset and motherboard manufacturers and make sure that their products perform the way they NEED to for audio and video apps. They use custom BIOS builds and get driver and firmware updates from companies like Intel and nVidia. And they have some incredibly knowledgeable guys behind the scenes (sup Jami!) making sure their hardware is right.

The other thing about Rain is that they have a warranty that's VERY different than what you would find at Dell or Apple. The RainCare Encompass package is amazing for most users, because it's tech support not only for the computer, but the audio and video software that you've installed on it. If you're getting performance issues in Traktor or Live, they can walk you through the steps needed to get the best performance possible.

My Livebook is a monster i7 machine with 8GB of RAM. With no "tweaks", AV and RocketDock running, Traktor Pro, and the A8DJ connected, I get low double digit DPC and butter smooth performance. I can run a Reason/Record session and it's flawless. It's a brute.

For the money I could have bought a Mac, sure. I didn't WANT a Mac. The Rain comes in a little cheaper than a comparable Mac, so I bumped up the Rain hardware instead.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    ...hackintosh discussion is still banned.
    Does DJTT have some kind of interest with Apple?

Why on EARTH would hackintosh discussion be BANNED on a Digital DJ Tech Tools forum.

You mod controllers with custom firmware.

But moding a PC with a custom build of an OSX 64bit architecture is BANNED discussion.

Massive -1
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

hey, not me that banned it.

The reason is the same as the reason you can't talk about cracking Traktor - it's illegal.

DJTT doesn't want to get some kind of legal action against them for spreading links or advice for cracked software, and using OSX outside of its legal licensing is in the same category.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Rather superfluous if you ask me.

Look at Psystar, they didn't even get even get busted for selling pre-loaded OSX hardware on non-licensed hardware. Witch would have been based on a breach of the Software EULA, they breached their contract with Apple on an even higher level.

There is no legal precedence for the illegality of breach of EULA.

If you buy your hardware. And you buy the software (im not advocating torrenting pre-built cracks here) It is perfectly legal.

Especially if you don't plan on building hundred and mass-marketing them.

All I see it as, is squelching conversation on the subject over some unfounded fear of prosecution.

And even at some point it is found to be illegal, only those hosting illegal content will be even remotely liable.

And again I'm not even about to advocate links to torrent download of cracked OSX's. That is OBVIOUSLY against forum rules, for obvious reasons.

And would some MOD please point me to the material I agreed to when I registered this site, and show me where it says "hackingtosh" discussion is banned.

Or perhaps the sticky where it says so?

If you would like to avoid discussion of such, you should probably have it in the "Read before posting" sticky in every forum category.

I mean its your forum. Your sandbox. Your rules.

But if you want them people to be able to self-enforce themselves, those rules ought to be posted somewhere.

Not just at the end of every locked thread where it is mentioned.

And I apologize for coming off sounding like an arrogant bastard...

I really don't think I am... >.<
    Last edited by exokinetic; 02-11-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Not impressed with the specs on the rain. On amazon I see one with 4 gigs ram and core i7 for $1899. You can get a comparable lenovo for $1200. Not sure about how the graphics stack up, but the lenovo haas more than enough for dj apps.

The main problem its durability. The rain still has this problem. I would suggest the envy or a business class laptop with rugged features. I would wait till next quarter when all the new sandy bridge laptops have been revealed. By then I think a better option will become clear.

ctrld

I'd say get a lenovo/ibm w701 with the fastest i7 chip available, then put 12GB of ram and an SSD RAID inside... but that would be more like 3 macbook pros, performance-wise

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234