Activision puts the kaibosh on "___ Hero" franchise. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Halukar View Post
    they refuse to innovate because they believe the same thing will get them the big bucks, and frankly it kind of makes me sick.
    Aint that the truth....
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Halukar View Post
    this is more than likely what is going to happen. unfortunately activision has a really bad rep for messing with people.

it was something like two months ago i guess, and a guy built an mmorpg starcraft 2 using the map editor that they gave with the product. when he was demoing it on youtube, activision caught wind of it and asked for a cease and desist.

now i'm all for copyright protecting in the right circumstances. but you couldn't play this guys "mmorpg" without using starcraft 2 to get into battle.net 2..... and they threatened to ruin this guy's promising career if they didn't get it their way.

bottom line is he got hired by gearbox or another company and essentially got his dream to come true... crazy hey?

bottom line is without COD and blizzard, activision is going to dry up and wither like so many big music labels.

they refuse to innovate because they believe the same thing will get them the big bucks, and frankly it kind of makes me sick.
    That's not really the story. Activision and Blizzard are now one company yes but Blizzard doesn't answer to Activision. Blizzard asked them to take it down not Activision, because they objected to the name not the content. They then flew the people who made it out to there HQ for a meet and greet which ultimately led to jobs for all involved not by Blizzard I think most went to Riot Games. Blizzard then asked that they simply change the title of the mod as they have the trademark on World of Starcraft. It's now being finished as Starcraft Universe. I would say that compared to most companies reactions to that situation was very mild.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    That's not really the story. Activision and Blizzard are now one company yes but Blizzard doesn't answer to Activision. Blizzard asked them to take it down not Activision, because they objected to the name not the content. They then flew the people who made it out to there HQ for a meet and greet which ultimately led to jobs for all involved not by Blizzard I think most went to Riot Games. Blizzard then asked that they simply change the title of the mod as they have the trademark on World of Starcraft. It's now being finished as Starcraft Universe. I would say that compared to most companies reactions to that situation was very mild.
    thanks for the correction. and yes it was riot..... i still believe that it was activision that applied the pressure for blizzard to react, even if they are only "merged".... activision owns over 50% of control of the two companies..
    VCI-100 SE Arcade - Hp Win 7 2.4 ghz 4 gig ram - Traktor Pro - Presonus Firebox

what happened to the golden days when u had so many company's pumping out different.. games.. a lot of crazy games... this days u get sequels... it's like damn can u guys come up with more games... it's like the music industry... the same shit.. lol.. well mainstream wise.. lol... but I remember back in the super nintendo days they were so many and mainly all coo.. now a days.. u got call of duty 10 lol... 1 2 3 4 5
    2xTECHS/DJM4/TF/SL3/MBPRO

Tech Guru

Yeah sadly you have less and less original IP's. If one company comes along and does something innovative like Harmonix with the original Guitar Hero, then along comes a company like Activision to squeeze every last dollar out of it until all you have is the same game year in and year out that they charge you 60$ for. I had all the Guitar Hero games until last week I realized I hadn't touched one in almost a year. So I sold them all to Amazon and am now waiting for payday to purchase a DDM4000 :P So at least they served a noble purpose.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12