should i wait for traktor 2? + one other question - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Okay, so this is coming from a post-dubstep, back to DnB DJ.

In both those genres there is a lot going on in the sub-low range. like 80hz all the way down to 20hz.

So I noticed after having the KRK 6's for quite a while (I always loved the way they sounded in my small bedroom) that when I listened to my mixes on the home stereo with a sub, a lot of the bass layering I had allowed to happen sounded REALLY ugly. I was like WTF. How was I not hearing that?

Well, those 6's were just plain not reproducing those lows loud enough to really 'feel' what is going on in the low range.

Trust me. Two 6's either as soon as you get them, or down the line when you discover what you missing, just wont cut it for EDM.

Another friend of mine who has 2 KRK 8" bought them, and used them for a few months in his bedroom setup (he has a much bigger bedroom than I do :P) and he was pretty sure they were going to be enough, but after a couple months I went over, and he had the 8" sub out of his 2.1 PC system added to the 8's.

If you want to be able to 'feel' clean low end, you really need a dedicated sub driver, period.

In my small bedroom, with the 6's, I found when I added the sub, even with the High Frequency adjust on the KRK set to as low as it could go, the mid range was getting overpowered by the high, and low range, I even attempted running it in full crossover, and sending the KRKs 80hz and up, and the sub 80hz and down, and a few tests at crossovers one, and two octaves above that, and I just couldn't get intelligible midrange out of those 6's.

So I used a Panasonic 5.1 tube receiver I had lying around (yeah I know...) and used it to send a heavily EQed mostly mid-range signal to a 10" JL sub with no crossover, in a sealed box.

When I tune that into the system its a very cool experience to hear that one speaker fill in the "missing" mid range.

I had used the 6's with the sub for about two weeks, and I just kept feeling like there was something missing, it was impossible to tune it flat.

If I could do it ALL over again?

I would get 2 8" KRK's, and if that means the KRK sub is out of the question, then I would scour ebay and craigs for an active "home theater" sub. Like someone selling just the powered sub from their system. And when you go to tune in the crossover on that sub for your KRK's, still download the KRK sub manual and use its instructions, with a combination of setup instructions for the home theater sub to get the connections all routed correctly.

Most 8" or 10" home theater will be perfect fr two 8's, and it should be really easy to get the system tuned for a flat response, with clean, intelligible low-range.

And if you plan on say... dragging that out to the living room and entertaining a small group of your friends, and you don't want to overdrive your studio monitors all night long.... and probably into the morning, that Sub is going to be SO worth it. SO worth it.

The only full range studio monitors that I don't need to use with a sub for monitoring EDM in a studio setting is a pair of dual 15" towers I have that are 150W RMS studio monitors.

I use those for parties a LOT, and I always use a Sub for those setups... But thats lots more people that will fit in most homes
    Last edited by exokinetic; 02-12-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Okay, so this is coming from a post-dubstep, back to DnB DJ.

In both those genres there is a lot going on in the sub-low range. like 80hz all the way down to 20hz.

So I noticed after having the KRK 6's for quite a while (I always loved the way they sounded in my small bedroom) that when I listened to my mixes on the home stereo with a sub, a lot of the bass layering I had allowed to happen sounded REALLY ugly. I was like WTF. How was I not hearing that?

Well, those 6's were just plain not reproducing those lows loud enough to really 'feel' what is going on in the low range.

Trust me. Two 6's either as soon as you get them, or down the line when you discover what you missing, just wont cut it for EDM.

Another friend of mine who has 2 KRK 8" bought them, and used them for a few months in his bedroom setup (he has a much bigger bedroom than I do :P) and he was pretty sure they were going to be enough, but after a couple months I went over, and he had the 8" sub out of his 2.1 PC system added to the 8's.

If you want to be able to 'feel' clean low end, you really need a dedicated sub driver, period.

In my small bedroom, with the 6's, I found when I added the sub, even with the High Frequency adjust on the KRK set to as low as it could go, the mid range was getting overpowered by the high, and low range, I even attempted running it in full crossover, and sending the KRKs 80hz and up, and the sub 80hz and down, and a few tests at crossovers one, and two octaves above that, and I just couldn't get intelligible midrange out of those 6's.

So I used a Panasonic 5.1 tube receiver I had lying around (yeah I know...) and used it to send a heavily EQed mostly mid-range signal to a 10" JL sub with no crossover, in a sealed box.

When I tune that into the system its a very cool experience to hear that one speaker fill in the "missing" mid range.

I had used the 6's with the sub for about two weeks, and I just kept feeling like there was something missing, it was impossible to tune it flat.

If I could do it ALL over again?

I would get 2 8" KRK's, and if that means the KRK sub is out of the question, then I would scour ebay and craigs for an active "home theater" sub. Like someone selling just the powered sub from their system. And when you go to tune in the crossover on that sub for your KRK's, still download the KRK sub manual and use its instructions, with a combination of setup instructions for the home theater sub to get the connections all routed correctly.

Most 8" or 10" home theater will be perfect fr two 8's, and it should be really easy to get the system tuned for a flat response, with clean, intelligible low-range.
    I like this response. I use my KRKs just to listen to my music when I am bedroom DJing. For production I use my AKG K702s, and car system :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    I like this response. I use my KRKs just to listen to my music when I am bedroom DJing. For production I use my AKG K702s, and car system :P.

Totally, for listening to one track, the KRK's are clean, clear, and deliver way more low-end thump than I would ever expect out of a driver that small.

But when layering two or more fully produced and mastered tracks together, they just cant keep up.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by bedroomdj View Post
    fuck, i cant use oxygen 8 without traktor pro huh.... ^.^ i have an idea! cant speak of it though.

if your planning on buying T2 when its out i dont see the harm tbh
    http://soundcloud.com/formido/
    http://www.beatport.com/artist/formido/291967
    Macbook pro 13" 2010 , Traktor Scratch Pro 2 ,Audio 8, Kontrol X1, CDJ 800's, Arcade Mod Technics 1200, Ecler nuo 5 mixer, Kaoss pad

Ok, so i can afford to buy the 8's with a sub, just thought it might be over kill. Yes i plan on mixing 2 fully produced tracks... so the 8s with a sub arent chill for that? i dont see how they could possibly be incapable of reproducing a proper mix... if thats the case KRK needs to go back to the drawing board IMHO. ok im going to make my purchase tomorrow morning, the only thing im weary about now is if i spend 900 dollors on krk 8s and a sub, are they going to be all i need, im not going to finish a mix then listen to it on headphones and its guna be the straight pooopaloops. thanks for all the help guys, also if anyone reads this and knows a good soundcard or if the audio 2 will work for me to run traktor with my 2 rane ttm 56 and oxygen 8...

thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/KRK-Rokit-Powere...item3364cb2a85

this is what im looking at buying if ya'll can confirm that this is the most solid setup im going to get for the price. I mean really how far off could this set up possibly get you from the lows mids and highs of festival speakers... dont most EDM dj's use this ne ways? all they have on DUBSPOT videos and in lots of random peoples videos is rokits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KRK-Rokit-Powere...item3364cb2a85

this is what im looking at buying if ya'll can confirm that this is the most solid setup im going to get for the price. I mean really how far off could this set up possibly get you from the lows mids and highs of festival speakers... dont most EDM dj's use this ne ways? all they have on DUBSPOT videos and in lots of random peoples videos is rokits.

sorry for twice post. bad connection.

alright exo i think ima take your advice and buy the 8" rokits with the rokit sub. Can you please explain to me what you mean by tuning the sub? i read your earlier post, is that just picking the ranges that your monitors play and the rang your sub plays?

Yes, I suggest getting VERY friendly with the manual that comes with that KRK sub.

I actually use the instructions that they give for setting up their sub for just about every other sub I set up, just because it is so comprehensive, and explains the concepts your dealing with.

And to clarify:

2 KRK 6's with a 15" sub (my situation) Are impossible to tune (ok lol at the sub size, thats my fault, but it was stuff I just had lying around, I didn't go out and buy the 15 for the studio, heh) hence the addition of the 4th heavily EQed 10".

I would much rather have two 8's right now, as I feel they wouldn't need that 4th box.

The two 8's with the KRK sub should be a BREEZE to setup, and to tune to your specific preference. And when you play a couple baselines over each-other, your gonna hear weather it sounds like sex, or it sounds like a duck farting (and totally not in a good way).

I have a feeling your going to be extremely satisfied with that system. Extremely satisfied
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast