Low Cost, High Performance, Traktor Stable HP Laptop - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That's good setup that you have their. My concern is the laptop heating up being that the i7 run hot. I would check to see how hot it gets. Keep in mind that it my run great outdoors and at home, but in a club that doesn't have great ventilation it may cause some issues.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Well, for the question to the celeron.

The hp ProBook 4320s only comes with one motherboard, that supports like 7 different procs. One is a Celeron, there are a few i3's, a few i5's, and one i7.

I am not a "certified" tech. But I started building my own computers when I was 7 years old, and laptops really don't scare me, I learned on an old macbook, and everything else has been a breeze by comparison (disassembly I am speaking of). As long as you take some step for static discharge prevention, and you are very delicate, most PC laptops can go through many full disassembly/re-assembly cycles. I just used the HP website to see witch processors were compatible with that model, and when I found it only came with one motherboard type, it was pretty easy, I could choose any processor that they sold it with.

Interesting note on the midi LED feedback. I run the X1 right now and have never experienced an issues.

And as for the heat, the actual i7 I got is an slightly under clocked engineering sample version of the 620M. So I get the new direct CPU to RAM bus that the i7 supports, the higher L3 cache, and about a 10% frequency boost over the replaced i5.

But the actual thermal properties of the Engineering Sample are identical to the i5 I replaced.

Checked Intels web-site just to be sure of that. But that makes sense, as HP only sells the motherboard in one configuration, so the heat-sink/ fan combo has to be able to support all processors they plan on selling the model with.

And it already runs a bit cooler with the SSD, so I'm not really worried.

And as for the integrated graphics comment.

This PC is specifically detailed to be, and was bought for, one specific purpose.

Audio processing.

I fail too see how graphical processing even comes into the picture.

Although the i7 uses the DDR3 system ram as the ram for the on-core graphical processor that runs at 700mhz clock, and is directly on the cpu, eliminating the graphics bus completely, and also eliminating another extremely hot chip on the board, focusing all the heat in one area, making it easier to direct cooling solutions in a more efficient manner.
    Last edited by exokinetic; 02-13-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

i use an AMD Turion II based HP laptop. Works like a charm, I have tossed all i could at traktor for over 2 hours sometimes and it has no dropouts or anything. then again im used to AMD since thats the only company I understand how to work around problems with.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Quote Originally Posted by BennyJ View Post
    I doubt it...the i7 is 4 cores....but dont quote me on that

And nice review...I should do something like this with my hp..but idk if i trust my soundcard that much lol
    i asked cos it sounded iffy.. that laptop i7620m processor is only 2 cores by the way.

Yep, 2 physical cores, 4 logical.

Hyper-Threading FTW.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Tech Guru

the heat issue is the reason i went with the envy line, 2 fans, aluminum body. and those fans sound like a 747 when they kick in under extreme heat. they really get the job done at keeping it cool.

Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    the heat issue is the reason i went with the envy line, 2 fans, aluminum body. and those fans sound like a 747 when they kick in under extreme heat. they really get the job done at keeping it cool.

all this envy talk makes me want to consider buying one... after the dramas i had with my last hp i dont think i could do it.

well they weren't dramas i guess.. just not happy with the build quality (although the envy seems to have stepped up this dept. a little), and the fact that it died at about the 2 year mark - and that it was a common problem for hp's of that age.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    all this envy talk makes me want to consider buying one... after the dramas i had with my last hp i dont think i could do it.

well they weren't dramas i guess.. just not happy with the build quality (although the envy seems to have stepped up this dept. a little), and the fact that it died at about the 2 year mark - and that it was a common problem for hp's of that age.
    if youre considering it and want a pc over a mac, jump quickly. i dont imagine these will stay badass in the next couple of years.

the guy that designed them, rahul sood is no longer with hp and is now working for microsoft.

heres other pc's that raul designed. i hope to god microsoft goes into the pc business with him there. would be a shame for this guys talent to go to waste on the next xbox or something like that.

Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

^^^^ dems sum guud shits

all tasty pieces of kit... very tasty.

didn't microsoft say years ago that they'd never make computers, just software and peripherals (zune, etc i've filed under peripherals before the trolls start trolling)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12