Want to use my computer I'm New
    Tech Wizard

Default Want to use my computer I'm New

Hey guys, maybe there has been a thread like this before, but i am kind of short on time, i did try to search however.

The debate i am having is how can i connect my current equipment to my laptop, and what program will be compatible with it?
    I am new into digital DJing and I am sick of burning cds and labelling them every time a hot new track comes out. I want to use my current equipment if possible, and use it the way i would use a VCI-100 for example and maybe add another controller later on. I understand i need a sound card for this (thought i may be wrong). I want to know exactly how this can be achieved (if it can), what outputs go where, and can the program for example Traktor, support my hardware.
    I currently have 2 CDJ200s, a Vestax VMC 002 Mixer, a laptop running windows, and my MDR V700 Sony headphones.
    I did put the CDJs and the mixer for sale and I did get a few calls about them, but i am feeling like i am making a mistake if i can just use what i have right now.
    Thanks to all who reply and help me out.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Traktor Scratch Pro package.

You hook everything together together with the multicore cables to the Audio8DJ which connected via USB to your laptop.

That's all you need.

Serato would work too, but if you want to implement more MIDI in the future I'd say go with Traktor.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Thx Dvl, i went to the native instruments website and checked out the videos and product description. It's exactly what I need.
    The drawback however was that it's pretty expensive its almost $800, which i currently don't have. I am also going to be using this on my desktop for now, which is better than my laptop, i am hoping it won't make a difference.

I want to know however if there is any cheaper audio cards and if i get one, will i still be able to use Traktor Scratch Pro, through this card? Is there a way to test Traktor Scratch before i decide to invest. I find the demos to be really annoying with limitation. Is there a way i can download the full version (i know bootlegging is wrong), but i want to get a really good detailed look at it before i invest, as i fully intend to buy it if I like it.

Tech Wizard

I forgot to ask that if lets say i grab Serato or Traktor scratch and I decide to add controllers like Vestax VCI 100 or Hercules and other midi's the software (this is kind of stupid) will support the completely digital version. For example if i already have Traktor Scratch Pro would i have to buy Traktor Pro if at some point i decide to just use controllers and go digital completely.
    If i do get a cheaper sound card could i still use my old equipment (tables & mixer) with Traktor Pro, or do I NEED Scratch Pro (can i customize Traktor Pro) what should i look for in an external sound card?

You need that soundcard to use Traktor Pro with your turntables - alternativly you could buy a Traktor Certified mixer like the Korg Zero 4 mixer.

To use Traktor Scratch Pro you require the Audio8DJ. No options, really.

Traktor Scratch Pro, through guitar center, is only $600, not $800, so that makes things a little easier.

Included in Traktor Scratch Pro is Traktor Pro, and you will definitely be able to implement the MIDI controllers you want, along with the CD decks and mixer.

And you have the added benefit of the Traktor Scratch Certified Mixers, if you decide sometime in the future to implement a more powerful DJ mixer.

That's why I recommend Traktor. It has a much more expandable set up, allowing you to customize your rig much more personally than Serato, giving you a personal touch that no one else can have. Makes things a lot more interesting.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Thanks guys, I followed your advice and i researched more on Traktor Scratch and the Audio 8 sound card. The audio 8 is almost worth the price alone it's an awesome sound card. I want to thank you for replying quickly to my posts and u were very throughtful about your answers, which i rarely find in forum groups.
    I feel like your community is very helpful and open, you don't look down on people who might not have the knowledge, but have the will.

So i have decide to put some money away and get the Traktor Scratch Pro, I played with the demo and was able to do some very nice mixes with my computer keyboard only, so i can't wait to have the added control. Right now I am setting up a desktop to act as my dedicated studio computer (cuz my laptop is only 1 gig ram) and I am putting in money to upgrade my desktop to 4 gigs of ram and i need a monitor for it.

Again I want to thank you for the replies, i really like these forums.

Well, good luck to you, sir. We want nothing more than to encourage people do find the same love of this gig that we have :-)

Let us know how it goes.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

i have, kinda similiar quiestion:

Lets say i want to buy serato scratch - would it work somehow with traktor, or do i have to use their original software. (some time ago i saw a DJ at gig with serato, he used scratch live, and then another dj replaced him, he had his own laptot, but he ran traktor, i did not notice that they used different sound card).

You can't use Traktor Scratch Pro (Note the Scratch part) without the Audio8DJ. You can't use Serato Scratch Live without the Serato sound card.

The only exception to this is the digital Rane mixer and any Traktor Certified mixer
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall