so, i had my first real dj gig tonight, and i came to a certain conclusion. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I stopped actually reading responses when I realized the OP hadn't come back at all.

IMHO, if you're bored by playing music you like for other people, then DJing is not for you. If you're forced to play music you don't like, that's not DJing, and I don't care what the top40 or mobile guys say.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I stopped actually reading responses when I realized the OP hadn't come back at all.

IMHO, if you're bored by playing music you like for other people, then DJing is not for you. If you're forced to play music you don't like, that's not DJing, and I don't care what the top40 or mobile guys say.
    I agree. This is why I label myself as a Trance DJ and not just a DJ in general. though I dont mind playing other styles such as hardstyle which is fun in it's own way since mixing in key with those is pretty much not needed and some of the transitions I learned from mixing it I incorporated into my trance mixing and sounds really good But at the moment Im up to playing even lords of acid at this point if I can make some money to put toward a DN-MC6000 and APC40 + 2 Radius 3000s

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post

It's not that i was bored, it just wasn't my style...Someone out of the blue came up to me and said, "hey i'll give you 350 bucks to make these people dance, btw they are older and grew up in the 70's" and i said , okay. i'm usually playing at house parties or smaller clubs that don't pay me with money but rather with booze or cigarettes.

EDIT: Playing the music I like (edm) for booze or cigarettes.

i played music for a wedding yesterday...i dont like to call it dj-ing...but it was fun nonetheles to share the music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s that i like and that i think they would like too...i got to play "got to give it up" by marvin gaye and brothers johnsons "Stomp!" was a perfect partner for it...i played alot of disco and 80s dance that people like but don't know the names to...but i also had to play some music that they wanted that i am not familiar with (spanish music)...

a true professional take advantage of the situation he is in to show his "digging deep in the record box" skills...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    Thats exactly what he means. i seen those DJs and to me i would just sold them my boombox with some CDs lol. This is one of the reasons I been hitting it up with some other djs and event holder contacts so I dont end up in the slew of boring djing. Rather do a job that pays but is also fun and not just playing random songs that people ask me to play of random genres That O don't like and end up sleeping on the job due to how bored I am.

Play button DJs are good for weddings and corporate events where the crowd has older people that don't really like electronic music or hiphop if thats your thing.

Are you assuming all wedding dj's are play button style dj's"????? I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by keithace
    a true professional take advantage of the situation he is in to show his "digging deep in the record box" skills...
    Can't argue with that.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKER View Post
    Are you assuming all wedding dj's are play button style dj's"????? I hope not.
    No im not. I know that they might have some crazy skills or that some weddings want some good mixing skills, but most the time when a dj goes to a wedding he's mainly playing a set song list and just playing the songs.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

From my experience, that is what the crowd wants. They don't even care, they just want to hear the music. Even if you did a good job mixing, they wouldn't even notice it, and if they did they probably wouldn't care. This reminds of when I was about to get a job as a wedding DJ I checked their cite and one of the review said something like this: "the dj SUCKED! I couldn't even tell when he was changing songs..I will never go through this company again".....hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by djcaptainshawn View Post
    From my experience, that is what the crowd wants. They don't even care, they just want to hear the music. Even if you did a good job mixing, they wouldn't even notice it, and if they did they probably wouldn't care. This reminds of when I was about to get a job as a wedding DJ I checked their cite and one of the review said something like this: "the dj SUCKED! I couldn't even tell when he was changing songs..I will never go through this company again".....hahahaha
    lmao!!! But wouldnt that be a good thing? just sayin. guess they shoulda bought a boombox and saved loads
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    No im not. I know that they might have some crazy skills or that some weddings want some good mixing skills, but most the time when a dj goes to a wedding he's mainly playing a set song list and just playing the songs.

EEEEEEEHHHHHHHH yes and no, I do mostly higher end wedding. Yes I have a song list given to me by the bride and groom most of the time, but I think any dj that sticks to just that list is gonna turn out to be a play button dj. A good wedding dj knows when to go off script a little.

(thanks for the reply my friend)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast