so, i had my first real dj gig tonight, and i came to a certain conclusion.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default so, i had my first real dj gig tonight, and i came to a certain conclusion.

I kinda don't like the whole "push play" djing thing, not only is it boring but it doesn't show the true skill that dj's have. I mean, 350 bucks for 5 hours is awesome...but it's reall painfully, mind you I was playing rock n roll and disco music but, it's just no fun. With that being said, what should I spend my money on?
    Last edited by M Elbert Grant; 02-13-2011 at 05:57 AM.

when you say 'push play thing'. what do you mean? also, what kind of gig? wedding? cheesey club?

sounds more like you didn't enjoy what you played, rather than how you played...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Yeah, i'm confused as well. When you say "push playing DJ", do you mean they just used you as a cassette player or something? As in "hey play this song" and you just push play?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Yeah, i'm confused as well. When you say "push playing DJ", do you mean they just used you as a cassette player or something? As in "hey play this song" and you just push play?
    Thats exactly what he means. i seen those DJs and to me i would just sold them my boombox with some CDs lol. This is one of the reasons I been hitting it up with some other djs and event holder contacts so I dont end up in the slew of boring djing. Rather do a job that pays but is also fun and not just playing random songs that people ask me to play of random genres That O don't like and end up sleeping on the job due to how bored I am.

Play button DJs are good for weddings and corporate events where the crowd has older people that don't really like electronic music or hiphop if thats your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    Thats exactly what he means. i seen those DJs and to me i would just sold them my boombox with some CDs lol. This is one of the reasons I been hitting it up with some other djs and event holder contacts so I dont end up in the slew of boring djing. Rather do a job that pays but is also fun and not just playing random songs that people ask me to play and end up sleeping on thhe job due to how bored I am.

Play button DJs are good for weddings and corporate events where the crowd has older people that dont really like electronic music or hiphop if thats your thing.
    Personally if I had a request for a next song, i'd just try to find an interesting way to mix it in!

Idk, that does sound kinda boring though. It's okay though cause if you're at a wedding and shit like this occurs, you could always try to hook up with some girl over there .

Gotta think of the bright sides!

Personally if I had a request for a next song, i'd just try to find an interesting way to mix it in!

Idk, that does sound kinda boring though. It's okay though cause if you're at a wedding and shit like this occurs, you could always try to hook up with some girl over there .

Gotta think of the bright sides!
    I guess but for me it's the single life since my money can go to me and me alone =p Also the girls here in AZ are a bit crazy >.> tooooo much drama here for me and thats even when being single ugh...

Yup, this is my town for ya too.

I was out last night, hit up 3/4 bars. All of them the same old shit, cheeze, no 'mixing' just slamming top 40. I chatted to a couple of the DJ's and they are only there for the money, no passion & couldnt care less. theyre a product of consumerist society if I ever saw it.

Even the guy in the underground hip hop club couldnt hold a pace. Banger then slow one, banger, slow, etc, at peak time. Really fucked up the flow. Everyone was goin nuts for the big stuff, and then cleared the floor on the slow stuff. Im not sure what the guy was thinking but it was quite frustrating.

Bring back the underground, let some guys with passion on the decks and they'll bring the house down! No requests, just good music & good mixing. That's what the dj is there for, he's a filter for the crap. A guy with a soul, with inspiration and passion, a craftsman. Not a bloody jukebox!</rant>
    Last edited by Flash101uk; 02-13-2011 at 07:10 AM.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Even the guy in the underground hip hop club couldnt hold a pace. Banger then slow one, banger, slow, etc, at peak time. Really fucked up the flow. Everyone was goin nuts for the big stuff, and then cleared the floor on the slow stuff. Im not sure what the guy was thinking but it was quite frustrating.
    Can you explain to me with tracks as examples as what you mean by banger then slow one, banger, then slow one, etc. I am very new to DJing, and am curious since I do like to spin hip hop as to how he did this, because I do not want to be the dude who fucks up everything up.

Thank you sir .

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Yup, this is my town for ya too.

I was out last night, hit up 3/4 bars. All of them the same old shit, cheeze, no 'mixing' just slamming top 40. I chatted to a couple of the DJ's and they are only there for the money, no passion & couldnt care less. theyre a product of consumerist society if I ever saw it.

Bring back the underground, let some guys with passion on the decks and they'll bring the house down! No requests, just good music & good mixing. That's what the dj is there for, he's a filter for the crap. A guy with a soul, with inspiration and passion, a craftsman. Not a bloody jukebox!</rant>
    Remember, crap is relative.

"One mans trash is another ones treasure"

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Can you explain to me with tracks as examples as what you mean by banger then slow one, banger, then slow one, etc. I am very new to DJing, and am curious since I do like to spin hip hop as to how he did this, because I do not want to be the dude who fucks up everything up.

Thank you sir .
    Im afraid im not bin into hip-hop / rnb, so I cant provide track examples. I did recognize most of the stuff as classic oldies though. What it comes down to is basic set programming & common sense. You wouldnt play chill out vibes and peak hour; 1AM and then throw in a big tune, pack the floor out and then go back to chill out. It just made for a really confused dancefloor.
    The people were there, lubricated, ready to be taken on a journey they'd lap up 'most anything that comes out the speakers, and they did. But it couldve been so much more.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast