Intro, and some equipment questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Convert

Thanks to all of you for the helpful replies!
    While I definitely like the idea of using Pioneer hardware, I kind of wanna be a bit careful with that for now due to the high price. Unfortunately, the only mixing experience I have right now is mixing with my Midi interface - no CD DJing experience so far. Thus, the idea of just purchasing some stuff to see how it goes at such a price just seems a bit risky to me. I'd love to try CD DJing, but then I'd rather get something that is somewhere in the middle in terms of quality, something I could probably use and have fun with for a while, rather than getting the best that's available right away. I hope you get what I mean, and will look at the other controllers you guys suggested.
    Thanks!
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by robin_k View Post
    Hi all!
    So, I'm Robin and I just got into DJing about a months ago. Currently, I use a Mac with the DJay software by Algoriddim in combination with a Vestax Spin as my Midi controller. DJay works really well for me as a blind user - I've also tried Tracktor Pro, but unfortunatelly that is totally inaccessible and won't even provide me with basic info on a track.
    So, 2 days ago I actually had my first DJing performance at a home party and was actually quite surprised by the reaction to the music from the people and the positive feedback I received in the end (well, some of the crossfades weren't as perfect I admit, but seems like no-one actually noticed that). Overall, this therefore was a great and encouraging experience for me!
    So, I'm now looking to start using some more professional equipment. I would definitely like to buy a better Midi interface with more mappable buttons - in fact I'd like a device that's both Midi interface and CD turntable / mixer all-in-one. For me, it would be awesome if there were no menus on the actual device, I'd rather have certain buttons I could use to alternate between things like CD and Midi controller mode. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Also, can someone suggest some good, high-quality DJing headphones?
    Thanks for any help and replies!!!
    Cheers,
    Robin.
    u can try this... http://www.pssl.com/Numark-MIXDECK-C...r-Combo-Player
    2xTECHS/DJM4/TF/SL3/MBPRO

stick with the spin for a while. no need to upgrade when you just dropped $250 on the spin.... and pick up Traktor 2 when it comes out... untill then play with Djay (or if you have traktor sit there and play with it... i promise once you have that Ah-Ha! moment its all downhill from there and is IMMENSELY better than DJay.-- this is how i started.)

the spin should hold you over till you figure it all out. its literally the best intro interface i can think of (typhoon included). ive been at it since July and im just thinking about updating to the S4 as the spin does everything i need... but the s4 is a sexy piece of equipment

use oldfashioned's tsi for traktor. works wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Convert

Thanks for all the additional tips! I've heard some good things about Numark in the past, so will just look at it just to see what it does. djnesquigs, thanks for your suggestion. I'd love to actually use Tracktor, but the problem is probably not the learning curve or getting the "aha"-effect, but it's just a matter of it being totally inaccessible with my screen reader on the Mac (I wasn't even able to select a track or read out time remaining and all that stuff when I tried it). I've contacted both Algoriddim and Native Instruments in the past about accessibility. The thing is, Algoriddim staff actually seem committed to accessibility and willing to improve a few areas of the program that are not yet completely accessible. When I contacted NI, all I got back was a "Thanks for your feedback, we'll pass it on... Bye!" style message, and thus my doubts that this will improve in the upcoming Tracktor 2 release are quite high. Of course there's always hope, though I would think that it would take them a lot of work to make their user interface accessible, and thus they most likely would have announced that.
    But still, I might follow djnesquigs' suggestion and stick with the Spin for a while, though the temptation to try out CD decks is quite high as well.
    Thanks!
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by robin_k View Post
    I'd love to actually use Tracktor, but the problem is probably not the learning curve or getting the "aha"-effect, but it's just a matter of it being totally inaccessible with my screen reader on the Mac (I wasn't even able to select a track or read out time remaining and all that stuff when I tried it).
    what do you mean exactly. your obviously running a mac cause you bought the spin and not the typhoon.

have you checked your display settings? ive never had such a problem. and trust me im just thinking about upgrading my spin to the s4 now like 9 months later. not worth it to blow a bunch of cash on something you cant use yet. ya know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    what do you mean exactly. your obviously running a mac cause you bought the spin and not the typhoon.

have you checked your display settings? ive never had such a problem. and trust me im just thinking about upgrading my spin to the s4 now like 9 months later. not worth it to blow a bunch of cash on something you cant use yet. ya know?
    You probably should've read the first post in this thread more carefully. He is blind, so he has different issues to worry about than us healthy people
    Last edited by 3heads; 02-15-2011 at 11:59 AM.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    You probably should've read the first post in this thread more carefully. He is blind, so he has different issues to worry about than us healthy people
    Cue the "Oh-Sh** reflex" by djnesquigs....
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12