Linux Music Setup Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Linux Music Setup Thread

Just wondering how many other DJTT users use Linux for DJing/producing! I personally deleted my Windows partition from day 1 when I got my laptop and I've never looked back!

My setup:

Distro - Arch
    Window Manager - i3wm
    Kernel - linux-next-git (buggy, I'll probably go back to 3.1)
    Sound card - Integrated, need to buy a new one
    Sound server - jack2
    DAW - Ableton
    Controllers - Novation Launchpad, Akai LPD8 and Akai MPK MINI
    Laptop - Acer 3830TG

My dad's was all into linux, but at some point he decided that he wanted to do more with his pc...I fucking hate linux
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Not enough support for Linux. I would be with you, but...drivers are a bitch. :/
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

You can get Ableton running on Linux? Impressive.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    My dad's was all into linux, but at some point he decided that he wanted to do more with his pc...I fucking hate linux
    My dad's was all into macs, but at some point he decided he wanted to do more with his computer....I fucking hate apple

Tech Convert

nice thread...
    i plan switching to linux, as i got the stanton scs4dj (amazing, maschine btw..).
    Do your use wine for abelton? Can u recomend a good soundcard for recording my sets (only 1 Stereo input needed)?

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    Only your knowledge limits you with Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoSiniSter View Post
    Not enough support for Linux. I would be with you, but...drivers are a bitch. :/
    That's actually a stereotype now, not always true. For my LaunchPad it was plug and play, vs Windows where I had to get the drivers before I could do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    You can get Ableton running on Linux? Impressive.
    Wasn't hard at all. The only thing was I had to disable Vista style file loading. jack2 was a bit of a pain to get working with Wine as they dropped support for it, you have to use wineasio now and the packages are a little messed up for x86_64, nothing a little text editor can't fix though. I got some RT patches for Wine from a member on #archaudio (irc.freenode.net) which helped a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordzion View Post
    nice thread...
    i plan switching to linux, as i got the stanton scs4dj (amazing, maschine btw..).
    Do your use wine for abelton? Can u recomend a good soundcard for recording my sets (only 1 Stereo input needed)?
    Yeah, I use wine. There's really no overhead with wine, you'll get pretty much the same performance or even better. Basically, if it works in wine, it's just as good as Windows.

Not sure what sound cards would work the best for you... I personally don't know much about USB sound cards (my last one was FireWire but my laptop doesn't have one). I would reacommand trying to see if you can test the latency before you buy it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

No reason for a linux thread to turn into a mac vs pc thread so lets keep all that negativity out of it please.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Not trying to be negative, just stating a fact...and my father's as technically savvy as anyone, He was the lead Developer for the worlds largest outsourcer... he just got tired of having to do whatever linux makes you do (of which I really don't know enough to speak on) to get anything to work... It's alot like when OS/2 came about, yes it was a far superior interface to windows at the time and the operating system wasn't as flawed as DOS, but the end result is that you have to have products written for or compatible with the operating system in a far easier manner than OS/2 did (and linux does) Linux's issue is that it caters to such a small piece of the PC users that it will never be more than something that doesn't really do as much as the established base wants or needs done...

but yeah, it's pretty cool that you run abelton under linux...
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    My dad's was all into macs, but at some point he decided he wanted to do more with his computer....I fucking hate apple
    I was referencing this post.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast