Pitch question

Thread: Pitch question

Default Pitch question

Hello

I have been playing with my computer for 3 years now and i use a external keyboard with special homemade keys. Now i want to by a controller.

One question about the pitch:
    If you press sync and one player is pitched down to about -5%. What happen if you touch the pitch slider accidentally that is on 0%? Does the pitch jump from -5 to 0,1 or doesnt it change until you reach -5%.

Br DjHawkeye

Hi there welcome to the forums

If you were using the mappings out of the box then when you moved the pitchfader the pitch would change to where the pitchfader is causing a sudden jump in the pitch.

The way to get around this is to use takeover mode where the pitch will move relative to the pitchfader after sync is pressed - this technique is used in the Ean Golden SE VCI-100 mappings.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Hi there welcome to the forums

If you were using the mappings out of the box then when you moved the pitchfader the pitch would change to where the pitchfader is causing a sudden jump in the pitch.
    Hmm I had a different experience with the traktor pro VCI-100 file from the Vestax side but I think it is more Traktor Pro related issue anyway.
    With Traktor LE the pitch would jump to the value of the pitchfader as Bento described.
    With the PRO Version if the pitch is at +1.2 you have to move the fader up to +1.2 before you can change it. This gets rid of the sudden jumping you had before.
    I am not in front of my VCI-100 now but I will try it again when I am back home.
    You must be out of your mind, if you think the way you dress will serve to help the way you rhyme

Thanks for the exellent answer.
    And now to the big question and i think i now the answer on this dj site

Stay with VirtualDj and maybe a Hercules Steel controller or change to Traktor and a VCI 100 controller. I need to try a Demo version off Traktor and see if i can change.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have different advice than Bento.

If you have sync set to toggle then if you move the pitch fader nothing happens to the pitch. If you move the pitch fader on the master tempo track the sync'd track will increase in tempo. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by maru.san View Post
    With the PRO Version if the pitch is at +1.2 you have to move the fader up to +1.2 before you can change it. This gets rid of the sudden jumping you had before.
    I am not in front of my VCI-100 now but I will try it again when I am back home.
    Ok, I tried it again on my VCI-100 right now. And there is one more thing to do to make it work like I described.

In the Midi mappings assign the tempo to the pitch-fader and SET

* Interaction Mode - Direct
    * Type of Controller - Analog Fader / Knob

the last step is to tick the checkbox "Soft Takeover" below.

This makes sure that you have to move the fader to the "current" value first before the fader affects it.

Apparently this is the only change I made to the DJTT mapping file since I do not really like the relative faders.

Hope this helps,
    Mike
    Last edited by maru.san; 12-30-2008 at 10:22 AM.
    You must be out of your mind, if you think the way you dress will serve to help the way you rhyme