Modding a NanoKontrol & Philippines components help anyone ?
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Default Modding a NanoKontrol & Philippines components help anyone ?

So I have a NanoKontrol, and in fairness for $60 its a great lil toy, but having had the USB connector bust and faders starting to feel crunchy after 3 years use i'm thinking of going all DIY on its Ass...

Giving me a total

18 faders / rotaries
    24 buttons
    4 Scenes
    My own layout.

Trying to buy parts is a bit of a pain, essentially everything doubles in price on import, with the going rate for an APC20 is $250.

So if anyone happens to be from the Philippines and knows of a decent electronic component shop in manila, or even someone doing S/H bits n' bobs it'd be appreciated.

I've used radionics here, pricy ... & ordered from HK too, somethings get though without being hit by tax others don't. But doing a 3 hour roundtrip paying $15 to the customs agent's pocket for $5 worth of buttons is crazy!.

Of course something else might do the trick, I had been looking at the Behringer Eurolight as a midi controller, which would give me 29 faders, 21 buttons and (I think) 9 scenes.

Its pretty chunky though as a midi controller though and pricewise I'd prolly just get 2 APC's if I were living anywhere else (gear is sooo friggin expensive here!)

BTW as you might guess I like faders, rotaries not so much and HATE softakeover and switching scenes if I don't need to (I have a BCR2000 as well which i'm thinking of selling).

Idea for my controller attached.

^ Kumusta Na!. . .though I grew up in the US. . .very coconut! (u_u)]

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with it? More controls?
    It is an unknown fact that Mr. T is the original Black Power Ranger.

Hehe, living it up in paradise (the very urban kind:P) and I'm about as far from Filipino as you get BTW, but been here 2+ years and lovin' it

Mainly I'm looking to "ruggarize" the Nano, which has a decent amount of controls, nice 'lil software editor but the crappiest build and layout known to man :P

I guess i'm looking to rip everything out of it, faders / knobs etc and replace them with better versions in a better case with a more sensible (to me) layout.

Ideally I reckon 60mm ALPS, Possibly Arcade buttons, Nice blue LED's all round, and 13' x 9'ish custom casing.

I've been checking Radionics, Mouser, Digikey, Farnell for parts .. most of them looking for crazy money e.g. $3.50+ for a 60mm Fader! (I spent $12 on a rotary encoder for the BCR a while back!)

I've sourced a variety of arcades and other stuff from HK & UK for less than $1 a piece ..It'd be hit and miss though if they get nabbed by customs and 100% duty jammed on though which would probably bring just the electronic parts to over $120 alone and just not worth it.

The one thing I miss about home is being able to just walk in and get what I need for half nothing, or probably even buy an entire non working 12ch studio mixer to strip apart for under $50 (or free) EVERYTHING is recycled here... and then recycled some more ... and then recycled some more... until eventually it dies and gets refurbished , so second hand is almost as expensive as new parts.

Ah. . .i get it. . .

Have you tried using alternative parts for mock up or even wait till it's ready for all the major parts?. . .but I get it. . .

a single nano kontrol? Your pic is reflecting a lot more than what I can view. There might not be enough Ins/Outs (unless you got a mux).

I'd say scrap it all together and go all out arduino for the amount of parts your already considering changing/replacing on the kontrol.

EDIT
    And from what I can see, you stated you don't like changing scenes. . . .going adruino is going to be your best bet, considering you can get rid of the scene button and just have 4 independent buttons per scene (I have the entire Nano series, so i know how it is). Then there's the problem with programming. . .but that's not until you got the parts and are ready for that. . .
    Last edited by DjWindzOne; 02-15-2011 at 09:44 PM.

You could try Futurlec.com. . .they take a while for me tho, and no customer service from them. If your not too keen on specific parts (ALPS slides) and just getting the mock up ready, you can try with them. . .not as pricey, but you might was well give it a try and mock it up.

Cheers for that, cheaper by far that the other "big boys", but i'll get hit by customs badly.

Thinking I might get something like this ancient mixer second hand for $100ish and use the parts - mmmmm analogue VU meters on Traktor?? there must be a way :P

At least i'll have a few spare pots and knob tops.

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...26/AUDIO+MIXER

The GF is gonna kill me bringing in stuff like that to the Apt

For parts. . (in SF2 voice). . "Perfect".

But that is A LOT of space that the thing takes up.