Painting Jog Wheels (Still have questions after checking old threads)
    Tech Wizard

Default Painting Jog Wheels (Still have questions after checking old threads)

Ok so I want to paint my silver vci jog wheels. from what iv been reading the touch sensitive jogs are electricity sensitive? i read on another sight that there pressure sensitive. maybe someone can clarify this for me?

also i wanted to know what grit sandpaper would be best to sand the silver off? and should i sand it all off, or just score it a bit so the new paint sticks good?

also if anyone knows of the best type of paint to use a link would be helpful. or maybe theres some nice jog stickers available? any help would be appreciated.
    15" MacBook Pro (HR AG, 2.4gHz Q i7, 8GB RAM, SSD + HDD) | Focusrite Saffire 6 | VCI-100 | Oxygen25 |PadKontrol | Ultrasone Pro 900's | Logic 9 | Reason 6 | Traktor LE

Tech Guru

The VCI jog wheels are electrically sensitive, NOT pressure sensitive. Painting them WILL effect their performance, although by how much will depend on several things.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You can paint the jogs, just don't put four coats on it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    You can paint the jogs, just don't put four coats on it.
    do i have to use conductive paint? is there such a thing as conductive clear coat? if so should i use it?

also if anyone knows what grit sandpaper to use and how much of the silver should i sand off that would be great. thank you
    15" MacBook Pro (HR AG, 2.4gHz Q i7, 8GB RAM, SSD + HDD) | Focusrite Saffire 6 | VCI-100 | Oxygen25 |PadKontrol | Ultrasone Pro 900's | Logic 9 | Reason 6 | Traktor LE

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would sand as much of the silver off as possible starting with a course grit and work your way to a fine grit. I don't think you need conductive paint, but they do make it so that's up to you. You could also put a little dab of conductive grease on the screws to maybe help with curent flow.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

The key is to NOT get paint in the beveled sections where the screws seat themselves. Also don't go too thick on the paint. You'll be ok without conductive paint.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

ok thanks guys. i think ill be safe and get some conductive paint anyways. does anyone know if there is conductive clear coat or if i should even bother using it?

btw im thinking flat black over gloss, whadda you guys think?