I have a recording problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I have a recording problem

Firstly, I am am mixing externally using a 2 channel Mackie D2 and a Kontrol X1 and an audio8dj.

I have everything set up right as far as I know, but my recording is coming out sh*te.* The bass is killer , far too strong in the mix and the sound is dampened over all, kind of almost sounds far away, to listen to it back via itunes I have to have the volume up and the bass killed...it's weird.
    I am using the booth to take the recording to the soundcard as I haven't got record out but really that shouldn't make that much of a difference should it?* I have to have the volume on the booth pretty low otherwise it clips.* The low EQ never goes over 12 o clock so I don't know why the bass is so prominent tbh.*

Looking at the recording in Platinum notes and it's recorded at -12db, I can't get it any louder as it clips like a motherf*cker, mainly due to the low frequencies I assume which are totally over done.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by ponyboy; 02-17-2011 at 07:38 AM.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

I wanna hear what you're talking about
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

I'd have to upload it but I am at work.
    Tony the Pony.

Tech Mentor

i had a similar problem when i started, did you plug the outs of your soundcard into line inputs? i had them in phono inputs and it sounded ok on my crappy 2.1 system but the recording was utter crap...
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

What are you recording into? And external device or are you going back into the computer in and recording onto it? Also check that you're plugged into lines and not phonos.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    What are you recording into? And external device or are you going back into the computer in and recording onto it?
    Going back into the soundcard (audi8dj) and recording in Tracktor.
    Tony the Pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashigari View Post
    i had a similar problem when i started, did you plug the outs of your soundcard into line inputs? i had them in phono inputs and it sounded ok on my crappy 2.1 system but the recording was utter crap...
    I am going out of the audio8dj into line inputs (cd) . Maybe I should check this though....
    Tony the Pony.

Didn't you ask the exact same thing a couple weeks back? Or am I mistaking you for someone else?

In any case, to me it sounds like the input you use on your Audio8 is configured either as "Phono" or "Timecode Vinyl" (just look at the LEDs on the right hand side of the Audio8). Just change that in the configuration utility to "Line" and you should be fine.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Didn't you ask the exact same thing a couple weeks back? Or am I mistaking you for someone else?

In any case, to me it sounds like the input you use on your Audio8 is configured either as "Phono" or "Timecode Vinyl" (just look at the LEDs on the right hand side of the Audio8). Just change that in the configuration utility to "Line" and you should be fine.
    I had a similar prolem with the signal being too low completely. Fixed that but now have this issue....

Your rememdy was the answer to my initial problem.
    Tony the Pony.

Ah, so my memory is somewhat working - good to know

Well, it definitely sounds as if there is some kind of RIAA equalization going on somewhere in the signal chain. So Ashigari's thesis sounds very convincing, maybe you got your mixer input channels switched to Phono by accident.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast