Had my first taste of controllerism prejudice yesterday - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 71
  1. #51
    Tech Guru mostapha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodega Brad View Post
    Tired of the debate....Use everything!! If they don't want ya...then go somewhere else or learn to use different types of equipment.

    @Mostapha....when did this become a Top 40 hate thread?
    To answer your last question first, when I read the OP. It was the obvious retort. But, then, I have zero respect for top40 nights. I know the DJs either enjoy the music or are just trying to make a buck, but I have never talked to a punter who liked the music…they all seem to go to those nights because "I like real music, but you have to play this for everyone else, and it's not that bad" or something like it, regardless of how I approach the question.

    I think that mentality creates a horrible vibe, and regardless of how good the DJ is, there's no way I'm subjecting myself to that. Frankly, I don't see how anyone who's been to a really, truly good night would be able to do it.

    Nothing against the top40 DJs; I've heard some really talented ones. But I'm done giving it a chance.

    As for "use everything." Yeah. That's a great idea. Seriously. I'm not being sarcastic (maybe a little). SoftSync on TSP is going to be the greatest thing. Spin your set the way you want to, but slip the platter instead of hitting play. All of a sudden, you're not one of those wanker controllerists who doesn't mash buttons, you're a DJ who uses a DVS to do awesome things. I realize that buying a pair of CDJs just for that is a lot of money to legitimize your existence to people who don't understand anyway, but…whatever. And I guess it doesn't work as well for people using all-in-one controllers, but…whatever.

    If you can't legitimize yourself, just buy more equipment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Whenever i get this now, i just bring up the whole pioneer "industry standard" is now creating products to cater for us controllerists. usually leaves them stumped.
    Either you made that up because you thought it was funny or you only argue with morons.

    I'd ask why you're using anything but the pioneer gear and when you rightly say that it's overpriced or that it sucks because they don't know what they're doing…you become either the guy who can't afford the gear that legitimizes his own existence or the guy who used pioneer being the industry standard as support for your side and then immediately said they didn't know what they were doing.

    If you do use it, you run the risk of him having seen it and thinking "wait…that's just a crappy version of a DJM 600 with CDJ 400s on the sides…why is that better than my booth with better versions of everything?"

    Don't ever say that again, because there's no way your argument wins. If you don't immediately get decimated, your opponent is just too stupid to argue with and you could have said anything and had the same chance of winning.


    I'm sorry I'm being such a dick. I don't know what brought it out today. Here's a picture of a kitty.


  2. #52
    Moderator keithace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,070

    Default

    i've been playing for 20 years...

    i don't have to legitimize myself to anyone...nor will i ever...

    why does everyone have such a complex?

    show up...drop bombs...have a laugh...have a drink...go home...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

  3. #53
    Tech Guru mostapha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,748

    Default

    Obviously, then, that joking attack wasn't directed at you.

    BTW, your advice a few pages back is decent, based on what I've seen. The question still remains what happens when someone says that they won't book you because you solely because you use a controller. I mean…frankly, I don't actually know how to deal with that, because I've never experienced it.

  4. #54
    Tech Mentor jimbob5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dortmund, Germany
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Don't want to sound like the grumpy old guy, but reality is that there are promoters out there like the one mentioned in the original post, and sadly we have to live with that. Arguing with them is useless, because it will ultimately make things worse and lead to them badmouthing about you. So there's basically two sensible ways of dealing with them:

    1. Play nice, rely on your skills with oldschool tech, burn some cds and play with those or bring a DVS - and get the gig.

    2. Try to get a gig somewhere else where they don't have problems with midi controllers.

    It's really that simple.
    Last edited by jimbob5000; 02-19-2011 at 05:59 PM.

  5. #55
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    714

    Default

    the djm aint a great mixer. however they do sell it to industry pretty cheaply. Mostapha. Pioneer do make alot of shit. most their cdj's are rubbish. However the 1000s and 2000s are the best around. most there mixers are shit. but the 2000, 909 and 1000's are some of the best mixers around

    the mixer market is more competitive than the cdj market that pioneer has completly licked down. I would deffently say that thier mixers are not tthe best on the market. That goes for sound and build quality.

    There MIDI controllers are not the best. I dont think they want them to be if im honest. With probly 85% of djs using laptops now why would they want to sell clubs/bars (there biggest customers) a £1000 pound controller. When they can sell them 2 cdj 2000's and most probably a 900 nexus. So you would be look at about 4 grand.

    It makes no fiancial sence for them to make a revolutionary controller and to make it industry standard.

    I think a very clever move to make would be to make a mixer with 2 usb ports and compatible with both serato and traktor scratch. It would take alot of dosh to get round Ranes exclusivity deal with Serato tho.

    I personally cannot see either Serato or Traktor becoming industry standard for a long time. The person who benefits from that the most is the end user and I think that is great.

  6. #56
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    52

    Default

    everything changes and every time it causes a stir. just wait it out, dj'ing will change too and people will accept that the day they will be busy eyeing the next generation, nintendo wii controllerists or something.

    cdj's too didn't get instant fame. plus, turntablists were probably shoutet at by people using wax drums and grammophones.

    play at the clubs that let you in with your own gear. i always found it strange why there is such a fuss about bringing one's own gear instead of using the stuff that's there. of course this didn't work so well with turntables, along with all the vinyls you'd have a lot of stuff to manhandle. but i can bring my own controller in a supermarket plastic bag and a laptop in the back pocket of my pants. does anyone ever say to a live band "no, you can't use your instruments, we have industry standard ukulele guitars. use those."?

    at the club i work at we have the standard setup (1200's, cd's, 4-channel mixer) and one half of the booth is free to put extra gear on or for the dj to stand on. every one is happy. the crowd, which we are doing all this for, doesn't give rat's ass whether you use a tape recorder or you use the setup from minority report. they want music and alcohol.

    the view from the booth:

    http://freibeuter.cc/box/5.jpg

  7. #57
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    714

    Default

    WHAT!!

    why would a disk jokey mix music. Thats lazy isnt it there is no skill in that. They need to indroduce the next record. How are we going to know what the next song is.

    I personally think its quite disgusting that you are messing with music. Who are you people.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77sju...mbedded#at=141

  8. #58
    Banhammerized theory28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    the party dont start till i walk in, with my controller.

    but it ends when i get thrown out

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvJeATp31dw
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

  9. #59
    Tech Guru djproben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    *note I do not condone the use of illicit drugs to have your way with anyone.
    not even Karlos?

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    the party dont start till i walk in, with my controller.

    but it ends when i get thrown out

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvJeATp31dw
    LMAO Nice use of the clip!
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •