Had my first taste of controllerism prejudice yesterday - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71
  1. #61
    Tech Guru Quenepas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Holy ass-juice! Check out those cans! Did he got em at a Jetblue flight?

    j/k but mad respect to the guy.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

  2. #62
    Tech Guru Cook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Either you made that up because you thought it was funny or you only argue with morons.

    I'd ask why you're using anything but the pioneer gear and when you rightly say that it's overpriced or that it sucks because they don't know what they're doing…you become either the guy who can't afford the gear that legitimizes his own existence or the guy who used pioneer being the industry standard as support for your side and then immediately said they didn't know what they were doing.

    If you do use it, you run the risk of him having seen it and thinking "wait…that's just a crappy version of a DJM 600 with CDJ 400s on the sides…why is that better than my booth with better versions of everything?"

    Don't ever say that again, because there's no way your argument wins. If you don't immediately get decimated, your opponent is just too stupid to argue with and you could have said anything and had the same chance of winning.
    Its not that, Every club round here bar one is owned by some guy with rich-ass parents, and have the mentality of "if its not industry standard its not worth shit". Pioneer is moving on, Why are the new products HID compatible, the DJM900 being traktor certified, im not just talking about the T1, Im talking about Pioneer moving forward (slowly but surely) Into the age of "laptop DJ's"
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

  3. #63
    Tech Mentor JazZmutant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the city
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Haters gonna Hate! haha People are abrasive to change by nature and its usually the guys who have "perfected" their style kick up a fuss about it. For example, Ill be having a jam with some of my mates and offer them a go with traktor and they hands down refuse to even touch it.

    The entire argument is bullshit, the same thing happened when vinyl to CD thing came about, and we all know what that result was! At the end of the day everyone has a way of doing things and each to their own.

    I have used CDs, serato, traktor (both with and without timecode) and I settled on traktor without timecode because I love the flexability it gives me with layering loops, efx and storing my music. Also I love the idea of linking ableton and machine together with traktor to really make a custom performance. Just like Richie Hawtin

    /rant
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

  4. #64
    Tech Mentor JazZmutant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the city
    Posts
    150

    Default

    ps i meant traktor with/without timecode lol

    pps I wonder if these guys would hate on ohhhhh I dunno.. James Zabs? He uses cdjs as controllers, all his music is beat gridded and kept on SD cards. Just putting it out there lol


    (Edited to avoid triple post)
    Last edited by JazZmutant; 02-20-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

  5. #65
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sunderland, UK
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    Holy ass-juice! Check out those cans! Did he got em at a Jetblue flight?

    j/k but mad respect to the guy.
    You should check out this guy. He recently came back to DJing after about 20 years and started DJing again. His Essential Mix is brilliant - very funky with mad effects thrown in. The guys name is Greg Wilson

  6. #66
    Banhammerized theory28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    LMAO Nice use of the clip!
    dammit i just realized no one posted that in the thread (a few months ago) about jazzy jeff getting thrown out of a club for not playing the right mudic

    or maybe someone did.

    any way i also posted that on a status from last night where flux pavillion did a gig and then got thrown out of a club 30 minutes later because apparently the performers can only stay 30 minutes after their set ends

    but lets not get off topic (sorry)
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

  7. #67
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    13,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SAFC2403 View Post
    You should check out this guy. He recently came back to DJing after about 20 years and started DJing again. His Essential Mix is brilliant - very funky with mad effects thrown in. The guys name is Greg Wilson
    Chris Jennings FHP

    Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

  8. #68
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sunderland, UK
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Thats the one! Cheers

    I've always been a house head but that opened my ears to a new sound and it's always on the ipod in the car!!

  9. #69
    Tech Mentor Rokku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    188

    Default

    The reason that promoters and old school guys think like that is because controllers have lowered the barrier of entry into DJing. Back in the day, and even today by "purist" standards, you had to get a couple TTs, mixer, and a sick collection of vinyl. Then you had to spend time learning your vinyl, marking it, building your set, etc... Good controller DJs sill take the time to learn their music and work a set up, but anyone can go out and buy a $100 controller and start talking smack about being a DJ.

    The way to combat that is to be good. Be better than good, be great at what you do. If you can rock a crowd then nobody is going to care how you did it.
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

  10. #70
    Tech Mentor Bodega Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    To answer your last question first, when I read the OP. It was the obvious retort. But, then, I have zero respect for top40 nights. I know the DJs either enjoy the music or are just trying to make a buck, but I have never talked to a punter who liked the music…they all seem to go to those nights because "I like real music, but you have to play this for everyone else, and it's not that bad" or something like it, regardless of how I approach the question.

    I think that mentality creates a horrible vibe, and regardless of how good the DJ is, there's no way I'm subjecting myself to that. Frankly, I don't see how anyone who's been to a really, truly good night would be able to do it.

    Nothing against the top40 DJs; I've heard some really talented ones. But I'm done giving it a chance.

    As for "use everything." Yeah. That's a great idea. Seriously. I'm not being sarcastic (maybe a little). SoftSync on TSP is going to be the greatest thing. Spin your set the way you want to, but slip the platter instead of hitting play. All of a sudden, you're not one of those wanker controllerists who doesn't mash buttons, you're a DJ who uses a DVS to do awesome things. I realize that buying a pair of CDJs just for that is a lot of money to legitimize your existence to people who don't understand anyway, but…whatever. And I guess it doesn't work as well for people using all-in-one controllers, but…whatever.

    If you can't legitimize yourself, just buy more equipment.
    I think all you've answered is that you don't like Top40. Congrats...you're not alone. Doesn't mean it doesn't have its place...just like psytrance. Just cause I don't like it, doesn't mean it's shit tho. I'm sorry that every club in the world doesn't play exactly what you want. That's why there are a million of them.
    As for the ridiculous comment about legitimizing myself...hahaha....like I said...ridiculous. I wasn't saying to buy more equipment genius...I was suggesting to become more versatile by using all types of equipment. Why be good at only one thing (controllers/non-controllers/genres of music)??? Use it all.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •