One trip to Red Dog...
    Tech Wizard

Default One trip to Red Dog...

Hey guys,

Been taking a while to really get stuck in to tp due to having three jobs on the go (paying off student debts) and it finally looks like I'm going to have some time on my hands again! Saving for travelling so I don't wanna go wild midweek and I'd love to get some gigs while away.

Anyways having switched from vinyl and after playing around with latop dj'ing and ableton I really wanna earn my keep and give my hands sumit to do while adding something extra to my sets. I was planning on buying maschine so I could have a go at maybe making/remixing some tracks and learning as I go and maybe trying to use it on the fly adding beats and chopping things up (if that's possible). Also very interested how this might integrate with tp2...

...but after a trip to red dog to buy it the sales rep (who was very helpful) was more into signal processing and advised the kp3 would be better. I particularly liked the sampling mode where you could chop up the beats, but im not sure how usable id find the effects section, some seemed a tad ott and not very exact for live playing(while they did work well with the Kaossilator Pro). Slightly concerned about not have send/return effects when mixing internally although im not sure how much that would bother me.

I'd completely forgotten about the efx1000 but now I see on ebay they're all roughly the same price (and I'm selling old gear anyways so its not so much of an outlay). I loved how the beat roll on my djm400 worked and James Zabiela has to be one of the best sets I saw in Ibiza when I worked thr and I love how he and other djs 'play' they're effects and make completely new sounds.

I don't have a clue now. Any thoughts/opinions/anecdotes/qwips?

Cheers!

-Sorry for 'War and Peace'.
    2014 MBP Retina 15" / Maschine Studio / MM-1 / 2x X1 Mk2 / A2DJ / Rokit 5's

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Those are two completely different things. I think if you want beat making/remixing abilities you go with the Maschine. If you want FX go with KP3, although I don't really know much about that. Maschine can do the same thing with sampling and if I'm not mistaken TP2 is going to have send/return FX.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the reply man, I was kinda swaying towards the maschine. I like the idea of something that can grow with me and keep me interested (since I've never made any beats or tried remixing) but that I can use in the mean time for cue juggling and internal fx while I'm learning the maschine software. Do you know if its possible to 'route' audio through the maschine software and use 3rd party vst's and sample live?

Kinda tempted by the efx 1000 though now I see how cheap theyre going for n I could always have a play since theyre 2nd hand n put it back on if I'm not feeling it.

-Tom
    2014 MBP Retina 15" / Maschine Studio / MM-1 / 2x X1 Mk2 / A2DJ / Rokit 5's

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abletom View Post
    Do you know if its possible to 'route' audio through the maschine software and use 3rd party vst's and sample live?
    I think the 1.6 version of the software that's currently in public beta offers that. Maybe someone can confirm that?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x